Is it ture?

Swizzy

Is it ture that all CP benefit from dormancy? Just that I got told by Matt from Southampton carnivorous plants. Plus here's my list of plants do I need to put them out on the balcony all winter here in the UK thanks.

Sarracenia cv 'Mary Cheek

Sarracenia x Mitchelliana

Sarracenia CV. Vogel

Sarracenia x popei

Sarracenia x swaniana

Caphalotus Follicularis

Drosera aliciae

Drosera capensis

Drosera slackii

Dionaea Muscipula

I think I know that the Sarracenias will need a dormancy and the Dionaea will need to be out side. Not sure on the rest of them. And what if it gets way below -20C

Thank you for any help!

Edited by Swizzy

I'm no expert but the way I understand the information I've gained is all your sarra's will need a dormancy, and your dionaea will too.

drosera capensis will survive a dormancy but don't think it actually needs one (near impossible to kill) but your other drosera's i'm very unsure. I don't grow droseras.

How will it get below -20c, is the English weather going to be that bad this year  :laugh1:

• Like 1

I'm no expert but the way I understand the information I've gained is all your sarra's will need a dormancy, and your dionaea will too.

drosera capensis will survive a dormancy but don't think it actually needs one (near impossible to kill) but your other drosera's i'm very unsure. I don't grow droseras.

How will it get below -20c, is the English weather going to be that bad this year :laugh1:

Sorry lol i was abit over the top there with the temp. Thanks for your help!

How will it get below -20c, is the English weather going to be that bad this year :laugh1:

Sorry lol i was abit over the top there with the temp. Thanks for your help!

Most of them need dormancy, but putting them outside is asking for trouble. Better to put them somewhere cool/cold, like an unheated greenhouse, where they'll get the daylight (which helps them know when to wake up again), but be protected from frost.

• Like 1

Most of them need dormancy, but putting them outside is asking for trouble. Better to put them somewhere cool/cold, like an unheated greenhouse, where they'll get the daylight (which helps them know when to wake up again), but be protected from frost.

I do not have a greenhouse any more. Do you think a fleece or something like that to protect from frost or will that block to much light? Thanks

I do not have a greenhouse any more. Do you think a fleece or something like that to protect from frost or will that block to much light? Thanks

I should point out that I'm not an expert, but I would guess that for the plants that die back completely (I think Drosera are one), then the fleece would be fine. For the ones that keep leaves over the winter, they would probably need the light.

Do you have a porch, or an unheated room in the house? That would probably be fine.

I should point out that I'm not an expert, but I would guess that for the plants that die back completely (I think Drosera are one), then the fleece would be fine. For the ones that keep leaves over the winter, they would probably need the light.

Do you have a porch, or an unheated room in the house? That would probably be fine.

I live in a flat and all I have is a balcony. Most of my rooms are hot as I live on the 3rd floor. I ordered my self some fleece stuff. I am sure that it will let light in as its made for plants I guess, but it must block a lot out as well. So I guess I will have to try and see if it works or only use the fleece at night times unless anyone says the fleece is not a good idea, thank you.

You might be better off getting a small greenhouse, one of those foldaway ones, and putting that over the plants. See more details here. They do various sizes and shapes, none expensive

The basic idea is to keep the frost off them. Unless the temperatures drop below zero, you would be fine with this. If the temperature drops well below freezing, then you might think about the fleece.

Remember, they don't need to be warm, they just need to be protected from frost.

• Like 1

You might be better off getting a small greenhouse, one of those foldaway ones, and putting that over the plants. See more details here. They do various sizes and shapes, none expensive

The basic idea is to keep the frost off them. Unless the temperatures drop below zero, you would be fine with this. If the temperature drops well below freezing, then you might think about the fleece.

Remember, they don't need to be warm, they just need to be protected from frost.

Thank you so much I was looking in to them fold up ones. I could not find the right hight on it but I was only looking on ebay so thank you so much for your time & help!

not so out with the winter temps, Norn Iron had a few winters of -13 to -19 this last couple of years. that was ok for my outside lads n lasses. Covered them just with a cloche (some sort of clear plastic would do, just let some light through) but the snow will insulate them. Suppose there wont be much snow on the balcony tho......

Wind is the biggest baddie.

if you have the room on the balcony and the plants are small enough then a small (2 shelf) temp plastic greenhouse should be more than enough to stop freeze, thaw and keep wind off whilst giving enough light. They aren't big but do provide a cheap temp solution.

dionaea will require a sleepy time and would also be fine in there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

not so out with the winter temps, Norn Iron had a few winters of -13 to -19 this last couple of years. that was ok for my outside lads n lasses. Covered them just with a cloche (some sort of clear plastic would do, just let some light through) but the snow will insulate them. Suppose there wont be much snow on the balcony tho......

Wind is the biggest baddie.

if you have the room on the balcony and the plants are small enough then a small (2 shelf) temp plastic greenhouse should be more than enough to stop freeze, thaw and keep wind off whilst giving enough light. They aren't big but do provide a cheap temp solution.

dionaea will require a sleepy time and would also be fine in there.

Thank you so much I got it all set up and covered now. Sorry for late reply! Not been on for a while ty.

no worries. time is short and all that, the little fellers are more important, no?

I lost a few from my first beginners collection a few years ago, kept them with poor air circulation and rotted. some survived.

Since I have taken the above approach and the following were fine with a covering outside, all year.

Flava, S. Purp. S.Catesbaei, S. Rubra,

I suppose you could say treat em like strawberries/over wintering bulbs (Tulips etc) and cover with straw (similar) and a cloche. As long as the ground doesn't freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw etc then you should be fine.

If indeed you went with the little greenhouse gizmo then just check every now and then and ensure that you open it a few hours or so to let air circulate and keep water levels down.....

• Like 2

no worries. time is short and all that, the little fellers are more important, no?

I lost a few from my first beginners collection a few years ago, kept them with poor air circulation and rotted. some survived.

Since I have taken the above approach and the following were fine with a covering outside, all year.

I suppose you could say treat em like strawberries/over wintering bulbs (Tulips etc) and cover with straw (similar) and a cloche. As long as the ground doesn't freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw etc then you should be fine.

If indeed you went with the little greenhouse gizmo then just check every now and then and ensure that you open it a few hours or so to let air circulate and keep water levels down.....

Just life you know ;) I have them in the small greenhouse and the bog I have but I think I got some rot on my Caphalotus follicularis 2 or 4 pitchers whent all brown and yellowish I cut what I could of to stop it spreading. I just hope it will be ok. My dionaea muscipula looks like it maybe flowering or something. Some of my sundews are flowering. Apart from that I think there looking prity normal to me here's a link to my dropbox plant folder it has been updated. Thank again your a big help!

Just life you know ;) I have them in the small greenhouse and the bog that i have but I think I got some rot on my Caphalotus follicularis 2 or 4 pitchers whent all brown and yellowish I cut what I could of to stop it spreading. I just hope it will be ok. My dionaea muscipula looks like it maybe flowering or something. Some of my sundews are flowering. Apart from that I think there looking prity normal to me here's a link to my dropbox plant folder with updated photos with dates:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/343wsjz74i06uh4/AAD48F4Fp4-agWQzLKUtRcOpa?dl=0

Thanks again your a big help!

Edited by Swizzy