U. campbelliana seed germination

Tobias Kulig

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I offered a few seeds of my U. campbelliana ´Wei Tepui´. From this batch i have sown even 15 seeds. A week ago, I discovered 2 seedlings and thought that was all. But when I checked this morning once again, I have seen 7 other seedlings!!

Ok, in the past the germination time was 4-6 weeks. But this time it has actually taken a few weeks longer! It was probably because I had some other conditions.

Ok, here are a pic from the biggest seedling from today in the morning:

alxtlwum.jpg

best regards

Tobias

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi,

thanks all for compliments!!

@ Mujinamo:

what do you had for conditions? In my opinion is the tricky point only the maximum temperature and the night sinking!! When you give a maximum from 20-24 degrees C and 8 degrees night sinking, then should it give no problems.....

regards

Tobias

Edited by Tobias Kulig

Hi,

thanks all for compliments!!

@ Mujinamo:

what do you had for conditions? In my opinion is the tricky point only the maximum temperature and the night sinking!! When you give a maximum from 20-24 degrees C and 8 degrees night sinking, then should it give no problems.....

regards

Tobias

I grew it with the rest of my highland Utricularia in 90-100% humidity. Temperatures were around 22-25 degrees C  in the day and 15-18 C at night. I had it indoors under LEDs during the day and took it outside at night for the temperature drop. It was grown in long-fibered sphagnum moss. Here are a few pictures of when I got it. There were two clumps.

DSC_0237.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Last year I did a number of selfings & crosses with various Orchidioides. The U. campbelliana selfed seeds were the most robust of all - they had close to 100% germination.** All seeds were spread 50:50 on chopped live LFS or sterile cotton pads (like people use to remove makeup). The surface on which they were sown made no difference in germination.

** the 100% germination was achieved here in my basement grow area by immediately planting the seeds after harvest. The seeds that were shipped to other growers (even just 2 days in the mail system) had 0% germination. This was also my experience when ordering seeds from Tobias (as well as other Orchidioides seed from South America). After looking at my experiences, in the future I would ask Orchidioides seed shippers to pack the seed in moist paper towels (or similar) to avoid death by desiccation.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

you mean, seeds of orchioides should be shipped moist?

Yup - based on my experiences, I suspect that would work better than shipping dry. Years ago, Pyro & Barry did a giveaway with U. humboldtii seeds. They were shipped successfully in moist paper towels - I believe this would also work for the other Orchidioides. I was amazed that both of the experienced growers that I sent campby seed to had zero germinations when I had 100%. Also - you can imagine my disappointment that I couldn't get one U. unifolia seed to germinate when I know the seeds were freshly taken from the plants.