RichardG's Nepenthes

Nepenthes looking good today, so got the camera out for some quick shots.

lowii x muluensis

IMG_7103_zpswwg1mc6m.jpg

ventricosa x aristolochoides

IMG_7139_zpsenlxzmwt.jpg

jamban

IMG_7138_zpsjgf7zd6i.jpg

aristolochoides x hamata

IMG_7136_zps6hqtvk3k.jpg

x Exotic Lady

IMG_7131_zpsee0dvlbf.jpg

macrophylla, mantalingajanensis, x trusmadiensis,

IMG_7129_zpsewvjhc8o.jpg

x trusmadiensis

IMG_7128_zpsmvfkylt8.jpg

lavicola

IMG_7123_zps0j99cmwc.jpg

Richard

Edited by RichardG
  • Like 4

mira

IMG_7121_zpsfd5nktj7.jpg

lowii x truncata

IMG_7113_zpstxbitorp.jpg

spathulata x glandulifera

IMG_7140_zpsqozo9zfn.jpg

spectabilis x (lowii x ventricosa)

IMG_7144_zpsvbsqdugi.jpg

singalana x aristolochoides & lowii x talangensis

IMG_7146_zpsnz7eldzq.jpg

Overview

IMG_7147_zpszfdhbqre.jpg

talangensis upper

IMG_7110_zpscdqsrbdz.jpg

lowii x talangensis

IMG_7108_zpshueng1la.jpg

Enjoyed seeing other peoples collections so thought it was about time I posted a few of my plants. 

Richard

• Like 6

The Nep house is a small octagonal greenhouse (twin-cell polycarbonate) with the bubble-wrap on the outside. I used a heat-sealer to form the bubble wrap sheets into the right shape and reinforced this with Tessa tape. Yes, I keep the bubble wrap on all year - or at least until the winter storms decide to unwrap it!!

An extractor fan (and auto vent) kicks in to reduce high summer temperatures, and I have a misting system in there too. Last year fitted white LED strips above the shelves to improve winter light levels - seems to work (probably more for my benefit than the plants .

The heater is set to a minimum of 9*C, so in winter day-time temperatures aren't ideal (but at least it's more economical). Intermediates tend to struggle a bit, but highlanders seem to survive ok.

Cheers,

Richard

Nice pics of some happy plants, please excuse my ignorance, I am a relative 'newbie' to cp's and have only recently purchased my first nep. I believe it is the unusual nature of carnivourous plants that stimulates the interest of growers but in the picture labled 'overview' hanging from the top of shot just left of centre is a white trailing plant that look like roots but follow the standard nepenthes leaf formation (shoots alternately to left and right) but has no apparent leaf or pitchers. This plant has stimulated my interest as it's appearance is, itself,  unusual...what is it ?

Edited by Buster

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes I'm really pleased with the current jamban pitcher - it's the best one it's produced yet.

Buster, the plant is Tillandsia usneoides, an air plant which I've just hung from the roof. I suppose it's a 'companion plant' like orchids which many Nep greenhouses have to add interest and a bit of variety. An easy plant to grow - just cut a bit off and hang it up - no soil or roots to worry about. So long as it gets a bit of mist spray once in a while it's fine (just don't overdo the misting or it'll rot).

Looks like my talangensis is thinking about flowering (sex unknown) too.

Richard

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes I'm really pleased with the current jamban pitcher - it's the best one it's produced yet.

Buster, the plant is Tillandsia usneoides, an air plant which I've just hung from the roof. I suppose it's a 'companion plant' like orchids which many Nep greenhouses have to add interest and a bit of variety. An easy plant to grow - just cut a bit off and hang it up - no soil or roots to worry about. So long as it gets a bit of mist spray once in a while it's fine (just don't overdo the misting or it'll rot).

Looks like my talangensis is thinking about flowering (sex unknown) too.

Richard

Thanks Richard, I have been reading up on Tillandsia usneoides commonly referred to as 'Spanish Moss' amazing that it is from the same family as pineapples. It appears to have several beneficial effects not least on reducing high blood glucose levels and so this has really spiked my interest.  Gotta get me some !