My biggest pitcher of this season...

mobile

Nice nearly 5 cm pitcher Carl.

Although the lid is a part of the Cephalotus pitcher, persoanlly I don't think it should be included in the measurement as the lids of Cephalotus greatly vary.

Same analogy is with Nepenthes tendrils -  some have extremely long, some too short...

P.S Although there are no uniform accepted rules how to measure Cephalotus pitchers I would be interested to see what other people think :)

Edited by dimitar

you had me there for a second Dimi,   what you say is true.

The lids on cephs do vary greatly but it is still part of the pitcher and i think has to be included,after all i would not measure a sarracenia just to the peristome.

You could always increase the humidity a bit or water the plant a day or two before measuring it to get the maximum measurement.

Its only the same as growing them in a shadier enviroment to get larger but less colourful pitchers  with the same clone/plant.

ada

Have to agree with dimitar on this the lid on cephs can't be used as a reliable measurement as the angle varies sooo much from plant to plant and conditions.

The only constant that can be reliably measured is the actual pitcher without the lid.

As I said on your face book post Carl, nice sized pitcher.

come on what's your secret!?!? Hahaha

James

Carl has left it so you can take whatever measurement you like, problem is one day the lid can be upright and the next day not so much on exactly the same pitcher . When we talk about biggest pitcher width should come into it too as we are not saying tallest pitcher , I have pitchers the same height but some are much larger width wise and therefore bigger pitchers, but its a bit of fun yes? A pic with a ruler such as Carls gives you the best idea of size is my opinion

There is no universally recognised method of measuring Cephalotus pitcher size but I feel that base to top of peristome, parallel to the frontal ridge, is a more reliable measurement than base to top of lid, as the degree of opening of Cephalotus lids can vary greatly.

• Like 1

Some Cephalotus clones tend to grow only with vertical open lids of the pitchers no matter under what conditions they grow in - just genes. It wouldn't be fair to measure the lid because this will cause the pitcher to look bigger that is visual fraud no matter if there is a ruler to it though... :wink:

P9060005_zpstxzv5zcu.jpg

my apologies to Pokie for borrowing her picture here,

15862771496_895047195b_c_zps8rgenh8m.jpg

So this is NOT the legendary 10cm pitcher only 7.5cm after all?

I am not discrediting the plant or grower in any way,Sorry to Carl for hyjacking his post too.

We have had this conversation before on Pokies post and she says she accepts the top of the lid measurement.

who wrote this?    My conditions aren't so good as the ones of Jen and her plant with 10+cm pitchers...

Don't lets fall out again.

ada

Edited by ada

I do think 7.5cm is fair measurment of Pokie's Cephalotus.

who wrote this?    My conditions aren't so good as the ones of Jen and her plant with 10+cm pitchers...

Don't lets fall out again.

I did it...

I had in mind that my conditions are simple - just greenhouse conditions, so it would be diffucult  for me to get this size as Pokie's Cephalotus because she grows them in controled fridge environment

BTW, I like Corky's way of thinking in his post but even if we take the width and the volume as a measurment would this be correct since the volume and width also vary eevn in one particular plant?

Edited by dimitar