A few shots of C. 'Hummer's Giant'

dimitar

Hi Dimitar,
Did you get your plant directly from Charles Brewer?
Last December I had two plants from him, one small plant from rhizome cutting and one from his mother plant leaf.
Both plants are identical but I can't see  similitude with your plant...
Your plant have ever present the big rib? Mine always produce this... more strong in the formation of the pitcher... I could notice that if they stay under very strong sun light ( south Italy for ex. )  the rib become more smaller when the pitcher reach complete formation.
I'll do some photos of my plants and I'll post here if you agree.

Hello,

Yes, my plants I got from Charles Brewer.

Yes, the pitchers have wide mid rib but the plant starts producing large rib in its second growing season now in the autumn ie. after 2 years since I have it. In fact I have 2 plants from Charles and as I said above  they aren't established completely, so I can't see their full potential yet -   time is needed and patience.

I don't think the sun light is a factor whether the plant will produce large mid rib or not. From your post I got that your plant/s isn't established yet, so have more patience and give it time ( years) to do it...

Yes of course, feel free to post pictures of your plants :tu:  

I don't know Dimitar if it's only a question if the plant is established or not...

Please note  that basically the plant never changed since it arrived to me... sure it don't show it's great potential in size but it is a super vigorous plant!

here is when it arrive to me 24dec14.

D0sTcuO.jpg

here 22apr15 you can see clearly the big rib in formation.

jRIdMHc.jpg

end may15

bjRO8vN.jpg

After that I had a to much hot summer and very dangerous temperatures... so my plant didn't gone very well but it still grow and after get some leafs for division, my plant today present like this.

today 21sep15, sorry for the burned leaves... my plant got 3 months of 38/40 Cº and even if it was always in 100% shadow, the leaves have burned the same...

qmjTLyI.jpg

but pay attention  on this pictures...

Here is the side when the plant receive more light...

7RBjt3x.jpg

here is the back of the plant, the side that looks to the wall...

oSLN9QH.jpg

look the difference between the rib in the same moment!

What do you think about?

Kind regards,

Bernardo.

Edited by sparviero

They do look different but do you fertilize the plant?  It looks like it is also grown indoors or on a balcony out of direct sunlight?

The lids appear more domed than Dimi's plant and it appears much more vigorous,but we already know cuttings from the same plant can all behave differently even when grown side by side.

The mid rib is much wider,even on small pitchers,you,ve got a good plant there what ever clone it is.

Very nice looking plants and yours seem much advanced than my here .

Huh, all my plants are experienced with temps above 45C in the summer every year without any ill effect. They got diffused sun light passing through the bubble in the greenhouse.

However, to be honest, to me it looks like your plant suffers from fungal issue watching those spots which much remind sunburn but in fact they are not.

What conditions your plants grow in?

Hello!

I spoke with my CP great master, and he told me you are right Dimitar... this burned leaves was made by a fungus attack, not dangerous but very ugly to see... How stupid I was!

But returning to the topic... I feed my plant in the first stage but when it start to produce adult pitcher I give only ants to the plant, a lot! 10/15 ants for pitcher!

My plants are outside but in 100% shadow this summer, now the temperatures are lower and I will expose them for some hours day.

The shape of the lids are always domed, just like the original photo of the cultivar description.

ZCJoAe2.jpg

Let's see how the plant will grow in the next months, but I just cant understand how different our plants are...

kind regards,

Bernardo.

How do you feed it, sparviero?

One or two grains of osmocote 2/3 cm under surface of the pot not near the roots... when the plant start to produce adult pitchers, only ants!

If it's winter and the plant is still growing, just one or two grains again waiting the spring and the new ants.

Ps. sorry for OT in your post Dimitar...

• 1 month later...

There has been a lot of talk about the 'true' 'Hummer's Giant' and there seems to be uncertainty surrounding it.The fact that the talk perpetuates indicates to me that this uncertainty remains, so I don't really know how one could be absolutely certain that they have the true cultivar.

so I don't really know how one could be absolutely certain that they have the true cultivar.

Hmmm, It seems Charles Brewer does since he has many years of friendship with John Hummer. This is somewhat like Snow White and Santa Claus lol.  

Would u have doubt in me if I send u a plant?