Is this a Ultricularia?

Incursion

I'm extremely new to Ultricularia's.... and before I start nursing what could potentially be a weed... I'd like to know if this is one thats spontaeously grown. (If it helps I did get the original pinguicula featured in this picture from a carnivorous plant nursery so anything is possible.

Ultricularia experts out there, point me in the right direction please :)

august%202015%20001_zps1ikomyb9.jpg

It is a Utricularia.  It could be U. bisquamata or U. subulata.  Both are weeds in a collection if you don't want them.  Particularly U. subulata which often produces seed pods prolifically without even flowering.  Cunning little bugger.  

• Like 1

Thank you for a quick reply, where it is at the moment I'm not too fussy over, but I do have other Utricularia's sprouting out of other pots which... although are unique to my collection, are kind of in the middle of some of my more presitguous plants. As long as they dont overgrow they seem to be happy growing together.

It´s definitely not an utric,it´s livermoss and if I where you I´d remove it a.s.a.p.which can very easily been done with forceps.

Livermosses quickly cover all smaller CP like utrics and genlisea and smother them.

Even if the moss grows just on the surface of the soil,not over another plant, it prevents that oxygen will reach the roots.

It´s definitely not an utric,it´s livermoss and if I where you I´d remove it a.s.a.p.which can very easily been done with forceps.

Livermosses quickly cover all smaller CP like utrics and genlisea and smother them.

Even if the moss grows just on the surface of the soil,not over another plant, it prevents that oxygen will reach the roots.

It can overgrow some very tiny plants, that is true, but I haven't seen it causing any serious damage to any of them, except making them to compete for the light. But such observation I have with other mosses and very small plants.

I think that under the water roots will have less oxygen than with a layer of mosses on the soil. And yet we often even submerge some Genlisea and Utricularia without negative effects.

This moss is Riccardia sp. Maybe R. multifida, maybe some other, impossible to tell from a photo.

Edited by Cephalotus

It does look something like Metzgeria furcata the Forked Veilwort. The photo's not that sharp though

It is not a Metzgeria sp., which has a strong, easily visible, central "nerve". The one above does not have any and the photo does not have to be sharp to notice that. There was a time when I was very much interested in mosses and I still remember some more common ones from their look. Beside Metzgeria sp. is more like a mountain species, prefers colder ecosystems, wile Riccardia sp. is a lot more widespread and heat tolerant genus.

Beside Metzgeria sp. is more like a mountain species, prefers colder ecosystems, wile Riccardia sp. is a lot more widespread and heat tolerant genus.

While I will readily dismiss Metzgeria sp. due to the lack of a mid rib I'm afraid the rest of your reasoning citing temperatures is, I'm afraid, excuse the expression, hot air.  If you look at the distribution map for the species I mentioned you will see that it grows widely in the UK, including Lincolnshire which is not generally noted for its mountains

http://www.bbsfieldguide.org.uk/sites/default/files/pdfs/liverworts/Metzgeria_furcata.pdf

BTW I'd be tempted to weed the pot  ie remove the Pinguicula and keep the liverwort  :laugh2:

Edited by FredG