ICPS Conference 2016, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew: 5-7 August

Hi

I don't know where this rumour is coming from.

The sellers are:

Sarracenia Nurseries
Hewitt-Cooper Carnivorous Plants
Insektenfang
Scot Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia_cz

Redfern Natural History

All the plant sellers can meet Kew's CITES and Nagoya requirements.

In addition the CPS will have a Chelsea Standard plant display, a peat free trial display and a non plant sales stand.

In addition, some of the speakers at the conference will be giving less scientificky talks to those attending the just the Science Festival.  I'll publish a list of these talks as soon as I have them from Kew.

You can book your place at either the conference (£65 including the Science Festival) or just the Science Festival (£15 for 4 days entry to Kew) at www.thecps.org.uk.

Dennis Balsdon
ICPS Conference Organiser

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 

bookings for the conference are now closed.  We have 155 people attending from 22 countries.

You can still attend the non conference CP activities which are part of Kew's Science Festival  by paying the normal Kew entrance fee at one of the public gates.

As well as plant and book sales, the society displays and peat free trials display, some of the speakers at the conference are doing talks for the public which you can attend.

cheers

Dennis

How do I know in which tour group I am? There are herbarium and library tour and glasshouse tours that are divided into groups that are held on different days. Or can I pick the group?

Edited by snowwy
  • Like 1

It was a good conference. I was able to meet a lot of people that I had not seen for a while.

I wonder how everyone got on at Down House today.

I drunk far too much coffee one day and bought Allen Lowrie's mighty three volume work. A huge tome indeed. Some Kew workers let me out of the back of the car park to get to my van. My arms were dropping off.

The quality of the speakers was very high. I did struggle to get a vague understanding of some of the talks. One speaker even sneaked a bit of calculus in. I haven't done calculus for 25 years. There was something for everyone though.

• Like 1

I join the "thank you" train. The conference was great, Dennis, Tim and all others organizing did a great job, there were lectures for all publics (some really academic, others more main stream), the dinner was good too (amazing chance to get to know people) and Kew was an amazing scenario for the event.

About the sellers they were definitely less than what I expected (if you compare with EEE last year i.e.) but still some good plants were available.

You can blame the infamous Nagoya Protocol for that Ady. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard, could you explain why is that? I'm not familiar with the Nagoya protocol and got curious. 

Nagoya is basically very tough red-tape. We had a lot of discussion about it and I think I need to do some research and put together an article about it.  It goes right over the top of my head.  Basically if any plant has location data then you have to prove the origins of when it was collected and by whom. I'm talking paperwork here, not just an entry in our growlists like I keep. When you consider that for many you could say 'so and so dug it up in the 70s' is the best statement you can come up with, you can understand that it was difficult for the sellers.

You should have came and said Hi.

Okay, it turns out what I said above regarding Nagoya was incorrect, and an understatement.  

The plant doesn't have to have location data. We needed to provide evidence that every plant we were going to sell or display, was not wild collected. They wanted a certificate for every plant at Kew and legal documentation such as cites certificates or bill of sale,  to prove where it came from.originally.  Most sellers couldn't provide that evidence and pulled out, so we agreed in the end on signing a document to say that as far as we knew all plants were legal, artificially propagated and within the Nagoya protocol. By the time we got that agreement most sellers had made other arrangements for that weekend.

Any plans to put the talks on YouTube? - Last videos the ICPS posted were from 2010 and there is at least one lecture from this year I'd love to see.

There are 2 videos in Spanish from a visitor to the conference and one of the trips - I don't understand any of it - but the shots of the plants are great :-)

I 'third' the request to see some pictures.

• Like 2

Hi

the CPS will be putting our photos of the event on shortly.

The official video of the talks are going through post production editing.  The video is the property of the ICPS who will, no doubt arrange for it to be made available to its members and, possibly, more widely.

cheers

Dennis

• Like 2