new drosera discovered

Guest paul y

Guest paul y

a new species of drosera has been discovered on a single mountaintop in eastern minas gerais, drosera magnifica, regarded as the largest new world sundew and one of the three largest sundews.

it was recently discovered and identified through the popular social media network "facebook"

detailed descriptions remarks on ecology habitat and distribution, conservation line drawings and comparison of related taxa d graminifolia and d spiralis can all be found on facebook.

its big and beautiful and iucn red listed so it will at some point enter cultivation.

congrats Fernando and nice one facebook.

edit, info update grows up to 1.5 metres tall from base of the stem to tip of inflorescence, looks very similar to an oversized impossibly big d graminifolia.

having seen in person on several occasions what is easily the biggest and healthiest d regia in cultivation anywhere I cannot wait to see what this plant is capable of.

or as its being remarked on fb,  "so I can finally grow  something that will deal with the  neighbours cat".

Edited by paul y
  • Like 4

edit, info update grows up to 1.5 metres tall from base of the stem to tip of inflorescence, looks very similar to an oversized impossibly big d graminifolia.

I must really be sure... Do you really mean 1,5 meter?!! That is terrifying... it does not run after its prey, does it? Are there any photos of it I would LOVE to see some.

• Like 1

Guest paul y

yep 1.5 metres tall,  regia is about to be dethroned.  and to think, a cp enthusiast went walking on a local mountain in south America, stumbled across this drosera and posted a photo to fb with the question "can someone id this drosera please"  the post was seen by Fernando rivadia and a short while later we have a brand new drosera added to the always growing list.

plants in cultivation often exceed their wild grown brethren in terms of size or vigour mainly due to stability of conditions etc etc, makes me wonder what one of the worlds drosera experts can get out of this plant.

also makes me wonder what else is waiting to be found cough congo basin cough.

paul

• Like 1

I took a measure and placed 1,5 m by my side, that is just insane. 1 m would be ridiculous, but 1,5 makes it just unbelievable. I just have to see that plant one day. For now we can just wait patiently. I pity that there is no benchmark to the photos of it in the wild, like human hand. The plant itself looks really great. Calling it Drosera magnifica is probably the best name since it is just magnificent. :P

• Like 1

Nice write up Sockholm, cephalotus check out Sockholms blog there are plenty of pics next to people for benchmarks . Nice looking for sure , but on a 1.5 meter specimen 1.2 meters is black stem , I was hoping for five foot leaves hehe

Nice write up Sockholm, cephalotus check out Sockholms blog there are plenty of pics next to people for benchmarks . Nice looking for sure , but on a 1.5 meter specimen 1.2 meters is black stem , I was hoping for five foot leaves hehe

Yeah, I saw it. I wasn't expecting it to have 1 meter long leafs or more, otherwise, it would be dangerous to grow this at home outside a cage. :D But that is still very impressing. :)

• Like 1

Here's the proof: me with a few plants, including one that has a stem 1.2m in length. The black stuff you see are mostly old leaves hanging on to the stems, not roots.

Fernando%20239_zpsl0fqpbe8.jpg

My colleague Paulo Gonella is the one to the side, getting ready to make paratypes of these specimens.

Best wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia

Edited by Fernando Rivadavia
  • Like 2

Just out of curiosity, and ignorance, do all these Brazilian species in cultivation require similar temperatures? If so, what are they?

I only ask this because I've always been shy of getting any of the Brazilian and South American Drosera and Utricularia.

Impressive of how there are still plants like this to discover.. just an example of how our planet is rich, who knows what is still out there or was..

Fernado i read some where that the plants make many seeds but you didnt found any seedlings in the area, just new plants that grow from the stems, any idea of the reason for no or few seedlings ?

Impressive discover ;) !

Considering how robust the inflorescences are (see pic below), I assume they produce tons of seeds. Unfortunately we were there a bit too early for seed.

But when we returned 7 months later we searched extensively and couldn't find a single seedling, only plantlets budding from roots and stems. Maybe that's why they produce so much seed, because hardly any survive long after germination? Or maybe the seeds lie dormant waiting for a fire?

Don't know...

Fernando Rivadavia

IMGP1377_zpsiuplzdu9.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...