To Bog Or Not?

Nepenthes Lowii

Guest paul y

im with billy on this one, every single available pot or container and or space for such, im looking at a big patch of dahlias in my back garden thinking it would look a lot better with flavas there. im pretty sure pings grow in pointing in walls

• Like 2

Agree. I have plenty of boggs spread around, some in pots others made on the ground and the plants seem to really enjoy it, though some of the picthers get more "damaged" due to weather conditions and birds, they appear to be much stronger and resistent.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

D'you know, I was just about to post the same question as Nepethes Lowii!

Few questions for the experts...

1) What range of plants can you grow outdoors in the UK? I'm in Manchester, so not exactly tropical! We get generally mild winters, with occasional snow, but nowt like we used to get in Leeds when I were a lad! Also, we get a lot of rain, which I imagine is generally a good thing here, but it can sometimes be quite heavy, and I don't know how well some of the plants would survive.

2) Also, what are the benefits or opposite of a standalone pot against a built-in bog? I can see that the pot can be moved more easily, but I quite fancy making a raised bog garden in a box, which would also be easier to protect it from small children

3) Anyone got any details of what to do? I understand the general idea, but I'm sure there must be plenty of details I won't have thought about.

Thanks to all for any answers, and especially to Nepethes Lowii! Whose thread I highjacked!

Sorry, forgot to add on... would the lack of long sunny days be a problem? We do get some sunshine in Manchester, or at least, I think someone told me that we do, can't remember it happening much!

We have impressive rain though!