Help in making a new greenhouse

Hi all,

I am thinking on making a new greenhouse. As you can see in the pictures it needs a bit of work!

image.jpg3_zps7x9hapsy.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsnngz5ufx.jpg

What do I need to do to make this into an amazing greenhouse and how much will it cost?

Please help me I'd like to start soon,

Thanks in advance

Matthew

What are you wanting to grow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well as I've never tried them I'd like to have a go at some nepenthes eventually. Also I need more space for my growing collection of sarracenia (they aren't getting much sun on a east facing windowsill) and drosera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Shoultsy11

Guest paul y

that looks like a gardman 8by6 polycarbonate gh to me, and I speak from experience now so please don't assume im being derogative,

tear the entire thing down and get a second hand aluminium and glass gh from trade it/gumtree etc, they average about £50 if collected and are far better (even 25 year old Robinsons) than a brand new out of the box gardman greenhouse.

in fact I know a guy who sells complete ghs 8 by 6 alu glass assembled in your garden for £150 all in, which is slightly cheaper than the £160 gardman sell the replacement glazing packs for.

if you hunt around you can find some real bargains on used greenhouses, I picked up a 10 by 6 toughened elite gh complete with benches louvres and auto vents for £250 a few weeks back, although its being stored for when I move its still around 1k plus to buy new.

and the cps webpage has a job lot of greenhouses 3 in total for sale in the uk £150 each if memory serves me right.

hope that helps in some way

paul

• Like 1

I think your greenhouse is fine,just get some new polycarbonate sheet and put it back in.

For a 12 year old it is brilliant,Learn to walk before you run.

stick with hardy plants first and learn how to grow them well,forget the heating stuff for a few years.One cold winter can kill a lot of plants in a greenhouse if they aren't hardy and the heating fails(neps)

sarracenia,vft's and lots of drosera and pinguicula can all stand the frost we get here in the u.k and don't mind being left there in the winter with a bit of ventilation.

ada

Edited by ada
  • Like 3

What a difference a day makes, well done :good2:

Is the greenhouse part 4mm polycarb and part glass ?

Well it's not glass its some cheap rubbish plastic that feels like polestirene (how on earth do you spell that word!) and yes it is about 4mm

I've just finished the slab walkway for the Middle. I will get photos up tomorrow. And I also found the panes of the cheap rubbish plastic and have fitted one.

Edited by Shoultsy11

Acrylic plastic,it goes very brittle after a while.

It's not just brittle it's also soft!

I think it will be finished in a few days. Then I won't be confined to one windowsill!

Edited by Shoultsy11

Guest paul y

hi shoultsy, you don't need to tear that down,  I should of made myself a little clearer,  the point I was making that for the cost of the replacement glazing you can get a second hand aluminium and glass gh,  having owned one of these ghs I can tell you that watching it flex and bend in the wind plus multiple panels blowing out in the slightest high wind can be quite disconcerting, probably not a worry with nothing valuable inside but when you spend all year filling it with plants and putting a lot of time and work into it and you then get a night with 80 mph winds..... well the rest goes without saying.

double clip the tops and bottoms of the polycarb and use more glazing clips than the instructions recommend,  and silicone the panels from the inside will help it stay glazed in high winds

but on a more reassuring note I double clipped and silicone the panes plus used loads of glazing clips and this spring we got hit with 80mph winds that ripped down a neighbours fence and removed a garage roof yet the gh survived an entire night intact,  completely sleepless night though with that worry at the back of your mind, the whole house shaking from the wind and there I am at 2 am looking out the window to see if I can spot airborne polycarb panels.

never again so I tore it down and had it replaced with a second hand glass and alu and the thing is as solid as a rock,

I still have all the old polycarb and the green glazing strips and frame if any of it is any use to you let me know as I may be able to get parts to you through the post. 

is what ada wrote about your age right?  if so I will gladly get some plants and seed to help you on your way.

paul

• Like 2