How many types of Venus fly traps are there?

Yossu

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm confused - doesn't take much!

According to Wikipedia (if I understand correctly), there is only one type of VFT, known as Dionaea muscipula.

If that's the case, how do you explain all the different types you see around? For example, Hants shows eleven apparently different types, and Carnisana shows almost thirty! How come they are all Dionaea muscipula if they are different? The varieties of other types of CPs all have distinct Latin names.

Also, if these are genuinely different types, how did they arise? If they had been found all over the world, I could understand different varieties arising in different places, but as far as I can see, VFTs are only found naturally in a small area of Carolina, and as they have such a small natural habitat, it seems unlikely that you'd get much variety.

Anyone able to explain this? Thanks for any enlightenment you can offer.

Hmm, I see what you mean. Not as many varieties as the VF, but certainly more than one!

So, do you have any explanation, or do we all keep shhhhhh about it?

:ermm:

• Like 1

most of the visibly different varieties of VFT are the result of artificial selection carried out by growers. And as Alexis says they are different in the same way as there are differences between different humans or dogs etc. In fact there are differences between most individual fts, but can only be seen an the genetic level

Edited by mantrid

Thanks for the replies. I see what you mean about the variety within one species, never thought of it that way.

So did they all originate from one type in Carolina? As I understand it, that's the only place they grow naturally.

Thanks again.

According to Wikipedia (if I understand correctly), there is only one type of VFT, known as Dionaea muscipula.

Amen to that!!

But, in answer to the question in the subject of this thread: Too bloody many!!

• Like 1

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm confused - doesn't take much!

If that's the case, how do you explain all the different types you see around? For example, Hants shows eleven apparently different types, and Carnisana shows almost thirty! How come they are all Dionaea muscipula if they are different? The varieties of other types of CPs all have distinct Latin names.

Also, if these are genuinely different types, how did they arise? If they had been found all over the world, I could understand different varieties arising in different places, but as far as I can see, VFTs are only found naturally in a small area of Carolina, and as they have such a small natural habitat, it seems unlikely that you'd get much variety.

Anyone able to explain this? Thanks for any enlightenment you can offer.

Like with Humans, there are only one species. But, like with humans, that one species has a lot of genetic diversity.

Because of that diversity, there are different cultivars. Cultivars are kind of like difference races of Venus Flytraps. Again, using humans as an example, there are only 1 species but there are lots of different races(cultivars). Hispanic, Africa, Asian, Caucasian, etc etc. (I swear, one of you better not turn this into a racist rant, lol!)

=

• Like 2

Like with Humans, there are only one species. But, like with humans, that one species has a lot of genetic diversity.

Because of that diversity, there are different cultivars. Cultivars are kind of like difference races of Venus Flytraps. Again, using humans as an example, there are only 1 species but there are lots of different races(cultivars). Hispanic, Africa, Asian, Caucasian, etc etc. (I swear, one of you better not turn this into a racist rant, lol!)

Thanks, that's a very helpful explanation.