Sign in to follow this  
chj93

PPM readings and peat particles

I started a thread the other day in regards to a Flava Rugelii I have which has gone from having a healthy crop of pitchers to the brink of death within the space of a few days. I purchased a TDS meter just to put my mind at rest that the rain water in my butts is of acceptable quality, and with readings of 9 and 11 ppm in each butt it most definitely is.

Rather more alarmingly, the tray of water that the aforementioned plant is sitting in came in at a whopping 220ppm, so I am quite sure I have discovered why the plant has gone like it has. Thing is, in the tray with this plant, there is a lot of peat mixed in with the water (more so than in any of my other trays) so can I expect that to falsely increase the reading, or not? I'm just trying to work out why the reading in this tray was so high (only had this plant in it), and all my other trays had readings below 20ppm.

Thanks.

Edited by chj93

I would have thought dodgy water would have just caused deformed growth though, similar to a light starved plant.

I would have thought dodgy water would have just caused deformed growth though, similar to a light starved plant.

Hi, thanks for replying. I rather hoped you would as you took the time to answer to the other related thread I started.

I will admit it has made me worry a little about my use of Moorland Gold in case this has something to answer for! It's just odd in my mind that even after repotting the plant, the water it is in has such a high PPM reading, but water trays containing other plants also potted up with Moorland Gold, do not, as even those trays have collected a degree of sediment that has washed out of the pots.

I'm tempted to uproot the plant again, thoroughly wash the roots, and put it into some light and airy live sphagnum, sit in fresh water, and re-test the water in a couple of days.

Edited by chj93

Moorland gold has a good reputation and is salvaged from bog run off so should in theory be older peat washed by the run off and therefore a low TDS, unless contaminated later. I would be inclined not to uproot the plant again, but rather flush and test it over a few hours and see if the TDS drops to an acceptable level, if not then repot.

Cheers

Steve