Winter pitchers

SteveH9

So will they enter a sort of dormancy period with lack of sun and heat only , and start to grow again in the summer months

Hi there 

I grow all my Nepenthes in the glasshouse in full sun all year,but my plants grow better and a lot bigger pitchers in the winter as it is cooler and the humidity is high. Temperature get as low as 7c up to 25c winter time,summer low as 15c up to 35c.

• Like 1

Mine grow leaves all winter, then in spring it inflates the pitchers that were set in winter.

I find that very interesting, and i've also read similar accounts elsewhere. However, i had 53 species and hybrids in my greenhouse over last winter, and despite every plant trying to form pitchers over the cold dull gloomy days, not one single pitcher bud continued to inflate this Spring/Summer. Roughly 50% of them even went on to turn black and die off as the plants resumed growing this year.

no problem stealing thread haha just glad of the feed back , your plants look great , jonathan thats interesting thats what i think i will aim for those temps what kind of heater do you use and do you use a fogger at all

• Like 1

You may well have a point there Chris, because if you look at my greenhouse build thread where i came to applying the shade netting, i practically did 80% of it and only left one side open to the light. I greatly underestimated the amount of winter light in the North West of England and other contributing factors like surrounding buildings and trees when the sun is so low. This year i've removed all the side wall shade netting and just left an overhead canopy, but i'm not sure if i mentioned that in my build thread.

So yeah, that could well have been the problem and i'll have to see if there's any difference after next winter.

Hi there 

I grow all my Nepenthes in the glasshouse in full sun all year,but my plants grow better and a lot bigger pitchers in the winter as it is cooler and the humidity is high. Temperature get as low as 7c up to 25c winter time,summer low as 15c up to 35c.

My greenhouse hit 41c a few days ago. The downside of polycarb and permanent bubble wrap ? But as long as my plants get through it, at least it means my winter heating bills are cheaper ! :laugh1:

Seriously though, you must suffer some serious leaf burn on certain species with direct sun through glass at this time of year ? This is how my sibuyanensis x hamata looked a few weeks ago after just a couple of days in the sun under 4mm polycarb plus 25mm UV bubblewrap plus 40% shade netting. Not good ! It's since been moved to an even shadier location and the new leaves are looking a healthy green again.

DSC_1749_zpsmpkwlbzj.jpg

no problem stealing thread haha just glad of the feed back , your plants look great , jonathan thats interesting thats what i think i will aim for those temps what kind of heater do you use and do you use a fogger at all

I use a 1.5kw oil filled radiator that keeps my Nepenthes at a low as 8c and up to 25c in winter.I do not have a fogger yet,but I do give them a good soaking over summer not in winter as the humidity is high.I keep bubble wrap on my glasshouse all year long.

Bigger pitchers in winter,small summer pitchers.

2012-09-18154614_zpse9852e16.jpg

httpi1078photobucketcomalbumsw483Jonatha

Edited by Jonathan F.
  • Like 1