Winter pitchers

SteveH9

You will have cold spots in the greenhouse (close to the glass etc), 4C is a typical number people use to ensure the bulk of the greenhouse will stay frost free. You might get away setting a lower temperature, but 4C is a good starting point.

I have never kept plants that cold all winter so wont comment on whether they will survive or not, but at least they shouldnt freeze.

In the winter without supplement lighting nepenthes find it hard to grow pitchers, we just don't get enough sun in the winter, and yes they prefer high humidity , the heating suggested for your greenhouse is to keep your plants alive without sun they will barely grow

Edited by corky

Sounds like a plan to me Steve , but hopefully someone more experienced will give some input, 4 degrees sounds too low to me, maybe you could keep ultra highlanders alive but I doubt they would grow much with the lack of sun. If you did go for ultra highland plants you would soon come across the maybe larger problem of cooling in the warmer months and if heating in winter is not a viable option the cooling in summer wouldn't be either . Personally I think moving the plants indoors for the very coldest months would be your best bet. But I'm the same as Manders and I have not tried to grow them that cold

Edited by corky
  • Like 2