Cephalotus "Double Ribbed".. myth or reality?

dimitar

Its interesting to me, i have lived in sheffield all my life.I have been growing cp's since 1991 and only got a computer in 2007.

I added that so people will know i didn't send any plants illegally.

I don't know any other grower who lives or lived in sheffield back then and had all the ceph clones or cultivars that are mentioned by this US grower.

The only way he can varify anything he says is by naming the grower he says sent the plants to him,then we can decide if he had the real plants.

He should put up or SHUT UP!

ada

Edited by ada
  • Like 1

Wow 5 pages, just been on and had a quick read, quite some confusion there.

I think it's a shame that we all get hooked up on these cultivars and variants, yes it's nice to have them and if the parent and supply chain can be verified, that's great I even have a "giant" and a "Dudley watts"

But even if they don't show the traits they are supposed to (I do think growing conditions play a lot into this) I will enjoy them for what they are beautiful and great looking plants.

James

• Like 1

I followed yesterday the Terraforums thread and Facebook's and it was just the confirmation of a simple fact:

It seems there are many growers out there hurrying to call a "caused" or temporal mutation for cultivars and Cephs are just a very hard plant to create cultivars because they want to go back to their original form.

Besides as James correctly said the growing conditions can affect how strong the "cultivar" characteristics are shown in the plant.

So If you wanna call a plant for cultivar a grower should be able to trace back the plants origins and show a persistent trait.

• Like 1

So If you wanna call a plant for cultivar a grower should be able to trace back the plants origins and show a persistent trait.

Or if you are distributing plant with a 'cultivar' or "clonal" name then it needs provenance which in this case as this grower has acknowledged is severely lacking. The fact that the plant has been identified by the same person as 4 different plants doesn't really help either.

• Like 1

Named cephalotus cultivars can attract big price tags compared to a typical plant, and considering it's so difficult to distinguish one from another (hence the countless ongoing debates that will never end), i can see the attraction of calling one something it's not in order to line ones pocket :whistling:

Just my honest opinion.

• Like 2

might as well post it here too.

I take it he's shut up and dare not name his supplier so he cant confirm his plants,what ever he is calling them today.He can message me privately with his suppliers name if he wants.

ada

Here is what Big Bella wrote in Terraforums :

" this was years ago, in the early oughts; and the sundry packages had, I am quite sure, a Sheffield return address. I live in San Francisco and I am not aware of every extravagant plant collection or collector -- there are many, I was surprised to discover; and after Tony Paroubek's nightmares, people tend to keep rather quiet. I think that the name of the grower was Semitic -- Isaacson, if that is helpful, in any way. It never occurred to me, back then, that there would be such a ridiculous obsession attached to funny little ornamental plants. I'll try to dig up the photos that were provided . . . "

I don't think David (or is it Mea Culpa) will be saying too much to us Adrian apart from throwing the odd insult . For some reason he got a little narked that we pointed out his serial "errors" Even his initial excuse that the first error pointed out was made by a slip of the fingers in the middle of the night is "in error". It was posted in the middle of the night true enough but that's just before 0100 GMT, he's in California.

With very little effort multiple photos can be found online that he has used for multiple different clones. I'm afraid that it does look like any provenance given to plants where he is a contributor must be questioned due to his "inaccurate" record keeping. 

He has edited his post on here of "Double Ribbed" and renamed it "My Left Nut" but I don't think people should take that too seriously as it is bollocks.

• Like 5