Drosera Nidiformis Flowers

Jaicen

I have a Drosera Nidiformis I got from a garden centre. It's sending up flower stalks, and everything looks great, but the flowers never open fully. They mature to the point of opening, but never get any further. I'm fairly sure they're self-pollinating, so I'll probably get seeds, but I am disappointed not to see the flowers.

Is this normal? I'm guessing it's a TC clone that's fairly widespread.

I don't know the answer but I had the same experience with my D.Aliciae last year - she looked like flowers could open any moment but they didn't, although I could see coloration...flower stalk dried during winter and fell off...But this year I'm getting all the flowers from the same plant so I guess you'll eventually get yours too

If the plants are inside, they may not be getting the correct signals for their flowers to work correctly. Drosera flowers are very sensitive to changes in temperature and lighting conditions. They don't open when it is raining, like many plant's flower. However, unlike many plants, Drosera flowers will close immediately as rain starts.

They might be starting to open and then get the signal to close up. You don't have these problems with plants growing outside in natural sunlight. Now, even then some species only open their flower long enough to be pollinated, which could be 3 hours.