Choosing a RO system

Following up from my other thread, i have come to the decision a RO unit will be the best option for me. I have a 240L aquarium which will also benifit from the RO Water.

I have read up abit on these and i see there are portable unit and fitted units. I think i will only need the 50gal per day unit, but i am unsure ehich unit to go for. Anyways there are some things i would like to know before i make my purchase:

1. How hard are the fitted units to install?

2. Are the fitted units better than the portable units?

2. Is there much maintanence with either RO units?

If anybody uses a RO unit i would like to hear your input and advise. Thanks

Dan

Did you check your domestic supply? According to your supplier the few hard water supplies are blended with soft. You may be wasting your money..

Hi fred, sorry i didnt see your messege on the last thread i have just checked, it says it is very soft but i am unsure how to work out tds. There are lot of different metals and chlorine etc. what is it i look for. Thanks

Dan

Edited by carnivorousDan

The best way is to purchase a cheap TDS meter on line and test your tap water and see what it is. the perceived wisdom is that 50 ppm or lower is OK for the plants, so long as you flush the trays regularly to prevent concentrating the salts due to evaporation. The lower the number the better.

TDS is principally calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, bicarbonates, chlorides, and sulfates and some small amounts of organic matter that are dissolved in water. In general, the total dissolved solids concentration is the sum of the cations (positively charged) and anions (negatively charged) ions in the water.  Therefore, the total dissolved solids test provides a qualitative measure of the amount of dissolved ions but does not tell us the nature or ion relationships.

Should you decide to purchase a unit, also note that the 50 gallon a day is given at a pressure which may exceed your supply pressure so the output may well be lower. Also have a plan for the waste water typically 2-3 times the quantity of RO water produced.

Cheers

Steve