Rockwool?

I germinated some surplus vft seeds on a layer of aquarium " filter wool" laid in a plastic tub.

They all died shortly after germination.

I can't give any scientific explanation I'm afraid except that it was a 100% unsuccessful.

In the early 90's I grew nearly all my orchids in well bank rock wool, which was a mix of water absorbent and water repellant rock wool and small pieces of foam sponge, I found it a fantastic medium, though others couldn't get on with it at all. I think this proves there are no miracle answers when it comes to media, it's all about what suits the individual and their particular conditions/ regime. Having said this I don't see why you shouldn't use this inert media to your advantage with cp's ( though pure absorbent rock wool can get VERY wet).

Its still used for orchids quite a lot, however after talking to commercial growers in thailand we now use polystyrene chunks in the media. Most orchids seem to prefer it at least.

The theory in thailand was that rock wool/perlite and similar can harbour pathogens were as the polystyrene doesnt. Of course it may be that its a lot cheaper as well. :).

In the early 90's I grew nearly all my orchids in well bank rock wool, which was a mix of water absorbent and water repellant rock wool and small pieces of foam sponge, I found it a fantastic medium, though others couldn't get on with it at all. I think this proves there are no miracle answers when it comes to media, it's all about what suits the individual and their particular conditions/ regime. Having said this I don't see why you shouldn't use this inert media to your advantage with cp's ( though pure absorbent rock wool can get VERY wet).

Something I didn't mention earlier is that Rockwell is inert, without the natural buffers present in soil. As a result you have to keep a hawk eye on your water ph, especially when fertilising. This is exacerbated by hard water, so it may be one reason people have issues with it.

Surely bark absorbs moisture, but polystyrene wouldn't?

Depends on the bark, fresh bark is waterproof, old bark has lost the waterproofing chemicals, absorbs water and starts to rot. Ever tried soaking cork to see if it absorbs water?

What i was told was that using polystyrene instead results in healthier roots and plants, and this was from guys whos business is growing orchids commercially and winning competitions with their own hybrids.

Whether it would help with nepenthes i dont know, i guess it would depend on whether you using bark as a filler now or not. The bark would eventually break down where the polystyrene wouldnt.

Edited by manders

I have used rock wool (slab and chunks) and had the plants standing in a tray, common with plants potted in conventional media to provide the rock wool medium with some acidity and other chemicals found in peat to try to out balance the sterility of the medium. It didn't work very successfully I'm afraid, the plants grew but were far from vigorous. I didn't bother repeating the experiment although I cant see why it shouldn't work.

Cheers

Steve