Rain water shortage

Hello checked my dads water butt today and it is running very low, as it is coming into summer and there will be a shortage of rain i am planning on using RO water which i will purchase from my local pet store. I read in a thread that something is needed to be done to RO water before it is ok to use with CP's. Anybody use RO? Or is there any better solutions. Thanks

Dan

Dan, its a hell of a lot cheaper to get a second water butt, if you can fit one in and have it as an overflow from the other one. Does not take long to fill a butt, just think how much has been wasted with all the rain we have had over the past months. Wilko do a 230litres for £24.

Think of all the extra cash you will have for plants.

Nothing needs to be done to it Dan , if you're going to use a lot it may be worth buying your own unit. I got mine for ess than £50 on eBay.

Just had a look at at them, theres one for £50 which says 50 gal per day. How do they connect up as i live in a appartment so not the most of space?

Regarding another water butt the one i have already is only of a 8x6 greenhouse from one side of roof and isnt even 1/3 full.

Dan

Regarding another water butt the one i have already is only of a 8x6 greenhouse from one side of roof and isnt even 1/3 full.

Dan

If you had two barrels you'd have at least a barrel and a third then.

Dan,

Have you checked your tap water? Probably it will be too hard but you dont live very far from me and our water is extremely soft as its from wales. I suspect yours mght be from the river Dee which will make it a bit harder but its worth checking.

I was told you could use deionised water. That stuff is pretty cheap (buy it from a car spares place). I reckon you'd need a lot of plants to justify an RO unit!

I'd also like to know where you lot are living. Here in Manchester it's grey and wet  :coffee:

Edited by Yossu

Not always, we had some sun the other day. Only about two minutes of it, but I definitely recognised it from when I was a kid!

Confused the locals I can tell you!

Edited by Yossu
  • Like 1

I was told you could use deionised water. That stuff is pretty cheap (buy it from a car spares place). I reckon you'd need a lot of plants to justify an RO unit!

De-ionised water is slightly superior to RO as you will be guaranteed to get 0ppm pure water, but a good RO system will also achieve a similar result (and a lot cheaper for home use!).

De-ionised water can be purchased from most supermarkets etc., but does not work out cost effective on a large scale.

It is best to look for a local RO water supplier (aquarium trade/window cleaner trade) if you need lots of water (i.e. a water butt or more).

A small home RO system can be picked up for around £50 and will last for a good few years, dependent on usage frequency. The output can be slow so a whole water butt can take many hours to trickle fill.

The killer for an RO system is if you are on a water meter and can't find a use for the (heavily polluted) waste water! RO usually produces 1 litre of pure water for every 8 litres passed through. i.e. you'll be charged for 8x water draw + 7x sewerage cost for every 1 litre of RO water gained.

I'm glad you brought up the waste ro point Stu.

Last test I did I think the waste water was reading 432ppm, around 85ppm more than the tap water going in.

Would this be likely to have any adverse effect if it was used to water everyday garden plants? ( mainly acers and bamboos) .

Cheers chris

Last test I did I think the waste water was reading 432ppm, around 85ppm more than the tap water going in.

Would this be likely to have any adverse effect if it was used to water everyday garden plants? (mainly acers and bamboos).

With RO you are effectively concentrating your tap water in the waste as the pure water is forced out across the membrane. I would be cautious of using it to water certain plants in the garden. Acers like acidic soil and so even our naturally hard and alkaline SE tap water is a bad idea over time for them. The waste RO will be worse. I'm not sure on bamboo preference/tolerance, you'd have to do some research on this.

If you have lawn areas, or bare ground it might be better to pour there, or even down a road drain outside to avoid the waste water meter charge.

With RO you are effectively concentrating your tap water in the waste as the pure water is forced out across the membrane. I would be cautious of using it to water certain plants in the garden. Acers like acidic soil and so even our naturally hard and alkaline SE tap water is a bad idea over time for them. The waste RO will be worse. I'm not sure on bamboo preference/tolerance, you'd have to do some research on this.

If you have lawn areas, or bare ground it might be better to pour there, or even down a road drain outside to avoid the waste water meter charge.

A waste water meter charge? People have these?

Dan

Southern Water made it their mission to put every property on a water meter by 2015. Guess you're supplied by someone else Chris?

With a meter, you're charged per 1000cm3 drawn from the tap, and also per 1000cm3 waste water that goes down your drains. The waste water charge is about twice as much to encourage you not to be wasteful with water.

I'm pretty sure I'm with southern Stu, I'll have to check with the missus though!.

I think I get what your saying but the waste isn't ' metered' as such.

As far as I'm aware it's a ' standing charge' for waste.

My bill is always the same, if it was actually ' metered' it would go up or down dependant on rainfall as that goes down my drains.

Cheers Chris

The water is only metered once, usually under the sink, every m3 going in is also counted as going out.

The idea of a water meter measuring toilet dumps brought a smile though, :)

Edited by manders