How can I coax a cephalotus into vigorous growth?

dcobbold

I have a Cephalotus, "vigorous clumping", which I got from Stephen Morley a few years ago and it has gradually declined so that there are now only a few non carnivorous leaves about 5mm long. It is just beginning to make some tiny new pitchers, but I was hoping that somebody could advise me on how to encourage it into more healthy and vigorous growth. It has over wintered in an unheated greenhouse.

I have a cephalotus, labelled  "vigorous clumping" which I got from Stephen Morley a few years ago. It is not living up to it's name and has gradually declined over the years, so that it now has only a few non carnivorous leaves about 3-4 mm long. It is just beginning to make tiny new pitchers for this year, but does anybody have advice about coaxing it back into more vigorous growth? It has over wintered in an unheated greenhouse.

I have a cephalotus, labelled "vigorous clumping" which I got from Stephen Morley a few years ago. It is not living up to it's name and has gradually declined over the years, so that it now has only a few non carnivorous leaves about 3-4 mm long. It is just beginning to make tiny new pitchers for this year, but does anybody have advice about coaxing it back into more vigorous growth? It has over wintered in an unheated greenhouse.

Artificial light in a terrarium, mines doing great

• Like 1

Stephen used to use moorland gold for his plants,cuttings will root in it but they hardly grow at all in MG,you have taken the first step repotting back into a peat mix,this should show results later this year,failing that try a pellet or two of Osmocote.

• Like 1

OK you just went into unknown territory for me. If I repot I transfer the whole plant, medium and all with as little root disturbance as possible. Usually none at all.

I feed mine with Orchid Focus or Camellia Focus. I only use this on established plants though and I do not root feed plants recently repotting.

I've just started experiment with pitcher feeding, which is what I'm using on the one pictured below.

DSC_0428_001.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...