Sign in to follow this  
manders

Swedish Sundews

Almost exactly 4 years since my last visit, I returned back to one of the most unusual sites I've been to. 860 million year old pink granite substrate a stones throw from the ocean.  Just growing in rotting vegetation of various sorts.

Intermedia grown partially submerged.

18654937986_5833eec044_o.jpg

18683588921_473955d470_z.jpg

Edited by manders
  • Like 2

Bog, with ocean in the background

18493498380_5f114825f4_z.jpg

18058642994_9253dbc0c4_z.jpg

18683504971_9ce9ee7e59_z.jpg[/url]

Edited by manders

Great shots. It seems the Rotundifolia have coloured up more intensely? Are they more exposed, or is it a function of the differing species?

All the sundews were very close to each other so lighting should be the same, one patch of intermedias was allmost green, another ptach reddish, maybe just different clone.  The rotundifolias were high up out of the water line that was the only obvious difference in habitat.

Wow, amazing photos of cute plants in a stunning place! Thanks for sharing.

It strikes to me that these plants grow very close to the ocean so I guess the air and soil might be rich in salt. Is this correct?

According to my gps it was 9m above sea level but it felt higher than that when i was there. No I dont think there is any salt in the water. If any did get up there, say in a violent storm, any rain would rapidily wash it out and back down to the shoreline. I seriously doubt any salt would get up there though.

• Like 1

I would think that it probably has water flowing down into the sea, I guess that washes any salt etc out.

The only source of water is during a rain storm, there is no higher land roundabout to form a continuous stream.

Found another patch with hundreds (or more) rotundifolias,

18717923771_c07b62566b_b.jpg

18717918551_00689d1727_z.jpg

Edited by manders
  • Like 3

I wonder about the intermedia, do they spread vegetateively as it seems the water level would never drop below what it is now and the seeds would have to germinate under water??

Thanks for the answer. Never been there but I thought the native CPs would be found in the southern border, close to Denmark.