Sign in to follow this  
tripoza

help - new traps deformed

Hi everyone,

unfortunatelly my first topic on this forum is not the happiest one;

a week ago my dear VFT started to show deformation in traps as you can see in a pics. I've read everywhere and the possible answer is a pest problem. I inspected the plant and the soil and can't seem to find anything moving/living on the plant and in the soil.

WP_20150610_005_zps619bbbc9.jpgWP_20150610_003_zps95c677d5.jpg

WP_20150610_007_zpsad757336.jpg

I am very worried so maybe you can help me with some advices since this is the first time I experience this problem. What would you do in this case? Can i use neem oil? How can i identify pests if I cant find any? Is it possible that it is something other then pests? Will repotting help? My lady was repotted a year ago in a 100% lfsm...

Ty all in advance...any advice is more then welcome

Looks like aphid damage. They can be very small and sometimes look a bit like pencil eraser shavings. Just buy an insecticide from a garden centre. I've never had any problems with any commercially available spray.

You could also try submerging the plant for a few days, the plant won't mind but living insects will drown. May have to repeat  after a few days if there are eggs.

• Like 1

I'm sure someone would be willing to pay good money for a plant like that!

• Like 2

ok, for now i decided to submerge my plant but i don't know how to exactly do that...i put the whole pot with the vft in a bigger bowl filled with destilled water? and the water level is to where? to the top of the soil or ?

I'm sure someone would be willing to pay good money for a plant like that!

:laugh1:  :laugh1:  :laugh1:

The plant should be submerged so that it is fully under water. They don't mind as this occurs in their natural habitat, but anything living on them will drown after a day or so.

• Like 1

OK, I decided to go the cheaper way because getting needed stuff here in Croatia is pretty hard - so my WFT was submerged for 24 hours.

And then I could see little bastards floating. Like Alexis said:

very small and sometimes look a bit like pencil eraser shavings

True that...if my next trap grows deformed do you think neem oil could help me with them? Because that's the only stuff I can buy here. Or better, if someone could send me link where I can order online safe insecticide for VFT.

OK, I decided to go the cheaper way because getting needed stuff here in Croatia is pretty hard - so my WFT was submerged for 24 hours.

And then I could see little bastards floating. Like Alexis said:

True that...if my next trap grows deformed do you think neem oil could help me with them? Because that's the only stuff I can buy here. Or better, if someone could send me link where I can order online safe insecticide for VFT.

Use this, and this particular seller will ship to Croatia.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bayer-Provado-Ultimate-Bug-Killer-2-Aerosol-400ml-/391092060053?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b0ee73f95#shpCntId