Phaelenopsis *sp care

Mujician

Hi,

My parents gave me an orchid (I think its one of the moth orchids. Quite pretty and been in flower for some time now. I really have no idea how to look after it but would feel very sad if I was to let it die. Its currently on the kitchen windowsill - get lots of sun there. The light can get to its roots. How often should I water the 'soil' it is in? Does it need spraying with a mister? (I don't have one if I need to do that. Could you recommend a good type of mister if i need one - my local GC didn't seem to have any last time I was there)

Although it is in the kitchen it doesn't get any moisture in the air as my wife opens all the windows wide even in the middle of winter. 

Any tips/recommendations? Many thanks.

I would get a boat load of stuff I'd have to filter through to find what I asked because there were a few questions there. Pardon my ignorance for thinking a forum might be a useful place to ask. I shall refrain from asking anything here in the future.

Hi,

My parents gave me an orchid (I think its one of the moth orchids. Quite pretty and been in flower for some time now. I really have no idea how to look after it but would feel very sad if I was to let it die. Its currently on the kitchen windowsill - get lots of sun there. The light can get to its roots. How often should I water the 'soil' it is in? Does it need spraying with a mister? (I don't have one if I need to do that. Could you recommend a good type of mister if i need one - my local GC didn't seem to have any last time I was there)

Although it is in the kitchen it doesn't get any moisture in the air as my wife opens all the windows wide even in the middle of winter.

Any tips/recommendations? Many thanks.

I have a moth orchid i bough from aldi about 2 months ago, i water it once a week (not alot as i dont want it flooded) and use a orchid fertilizer once a month. Im no expert on orchids but it seems to be thriving well. It is located on a south windowsill also. Hope this helps

Dan

Most likely its a hybrid, they're like weeds these days. Warm growers so do best above 20C, a few weeks growng colder then brought warm again will usually get a spike. Most peope kill them by growing too cold and/or overwatering and rotting the crown.

Keep them evenly moist through spring and summer, and let them begin to dry between watering the rest of the year. Don't be afraid to feed either with something like miracle grow soluble or slow release granules. Avoid direct midday sun, cold drafts and letting water get into the crown and you will enjoy their exotic blooms and waxy foliage for many years to come.