Sign in to follow this  
Marc S.

Pinguicula elongata in flower

Hi there, wanted to share some news from my P. elongata - it finally flowers!!! :-) 17848570330_214db40d5c_h.jpg

and an overview of my two plants... 17848554760_ab0cef80cd_h.jpg

Who is growing this species? What method do you use??

Cheers Marc

Edited by Marc S.
  • Like 2

Now that's a great thread, fantastic results! I have never managed to acclimate my own plants :(.

Not sure how the plant of Tobias is going as well.

Would you mind telling what kind of substrate you use, and how did you acclimate your plants ?

Do you plan to pollinate it ?

Hi Vince,

got my plants straight from in vitro. I put them in a transparent cup which was filled half with perlite and closed it with the corresponding (transparent lid) for 1 week - opened it each 2nd - 3rd day. Afterwards, I opened the lid and just put it loose on top for 1-2 weeks then put it a bit more to the side (maybe up to half open) and then removed it after about 4-8 weeks! ;-)

Perlite just stayed humid with a bit of water at the bottom (0.5 cm) and I water just when this level was gone again. Advantage of perlite is that it can dry fast if you see that plants need it dryer or tend to start rotting...

They also push the old leaves down with new roots - during acclimatization you should try to remove old leaves because fungus develops quickly in this humid environment!

Because they were growing fine inside that cup I decided to let them in there and just fertilize them from time to time and make a little whole about 1 cm from the bottom...

Yes, I'll try to self it and sow it in vitro! :-)

Cheers

Marc

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed explanation, and indeed, my former plants started to rot with the dying old leaves. Seems you've had the right trick, congratulations !

Good luck with the TC and let us know the outcome.

• Like 1

Thanks! Tobias told me that his big plant flowered out of the resting bud, but was rotting before flower opened... Might be a more critical point when flowering than what I am facing now!

Wow that's a nice setup and veeeery nice results :D

Thanks for sharing your solution, I think I'll try sometime soon :D

• Like 1

From seeing the habitat photographs, this soil-less method makes sense. This species doesn't experience anything other than gravel and sand as substrate. No clay at all. Very free draining, more so than what most Nepenthes even want, but species such as N. northiana like very much.

Thanks! Tobias told me that his big plant flowered out of the resting bud, but was rotting before flower opened... Might be a more critical point when flowering than what I am facing now!

Marc, you misunderstood me! My flower was complete open (a beautiful white flower)! Then the plant rot very fast: The spray water from my U. campbelliana setup watering my dry resting bud and it rot....

Hope, you successfully pollinate your flower....i'm waiting for seeds ;0)

best regards

Tobias

Thanks to all! Pollination worked - pictures will follow soon... ;-)

(Waiting for seeds to be ripe now!)

@Yves: Hope to see you at Neuchatel at the 28. June?!

Cheers

Marc