Welshy's Nepenthes

North West Neps

Yeah it was and I thought the same , but the pitchers ain't that slim now , yours has a nice wide wide peristrom , how big are the pitchers?

The pitcher photographed is only 3.5 inch. At what size did yours start fattening up ?

Damn Welshy I was forced to look again to all your pics and I love the Glabrata and its hybrids, put me in your wait list for future cuttings... very please

Ok, but you'll have a long wait as my plants are still small. Or if you have no patience, i'll happily tell you where i got mine from, the suppliers probably still have the same clones available.

They have been pretty variable , only the last couple I suppose and they are 7" or 8", they were pretty tubby when very small then went slimmer and now tubby , I will try and remember and post a couple of pics for you

• Like 1

Eeh, it's a grim cold grey day oop North (i can't believe it's the Summer Solstice) :(

So i'll try and brighten things up with a bit of colour.... and theres some more new introductions amongst the latest pitchers.

gallery_8151_931_336974.jpg  gallery_8151_931_158538.jpg

gallery_8151_931_101646.jpg  gallery_8151_931_152310.jpg

gallery_8151_931_61253.jpg  gallery_8151_931_202811.jpg

And i'm really excited about this next one, my tiny glandulifera is starting to show signs of hairyness and nectar glands...

gallery_8151_931_137439.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

No new introductions for you this time unfortunately, just a few of the latest pitchers on previously shown plants. Some of them appear to be maturing quite rapidly since the previous pitcher only a few weeks ago.

gallery_8151_931_11563.jpg  gallery_8151_931_218928.jpg

gallery_8151_931_133305.jpg  gallery_8151_931_211919.jpg

gallery_8151_931_215139.jpg  gallery_8151_931_200024.jpg

This next one's for Corky. My newest freshy popped robcantleyi pitcher is getting on for 5.5 inches, a 2 inch jump over the previous pitcher.

gallery_8151_931_8807.jpg

• Like 1

Blimey Tony you are having great results , that hard work is paying off big time, I bet that robc pitcher gets a fair bit bigger before it matures, fantastic photos as usual

Edited by corky

Cheers Chris. Things seem to have kicked off big time since buying the hygrostat and fogger, as humidity is always between 70 and 100% now. Obviously, we're also having our longest daylight hours at the moment too, but i think the humidity plays just as big a part. On really hot days, it's like a bleedin sauna in the greenhouse. I've lost 2 stone in weight since buying the fogger, says how much time i spend in there ! :laugh1:

• Like 1

Is that maxima x trusmadiensis from BE?

Regards,

Christer

Hi Christer, you're the second person to ask this now, the first was andrewmc when the photo originally appeared in my growlist thread. Anyway, i'll get back to you on that one as i honestly don't know.

It's only my 3rd year growing nepenthes and when i started out, i was like a kid in a sweetshop buying anything in sight (still am really :laugh1: ) and so i wasn't too interested in specific background info back then, especially when most of the suppliers i've bought from don't always list such information on their website, i.e. BE catalogue numbers, location info etc.

Since i've started keeping an excel spreadsheet database of my plants in the past 12 months, i've found myself adding more and more columns for recording all kinds of specific details and info. Most of my collection does now have a confirmable BE number recorded with it if applicable, and i'm in the process of emailing sellers of my earlier plants to see what background info they can supply with regards to my order history. I'm not expecting many sellers to have the time to respond to such a request, but you never know until you try.

If i get any more info on the maxima x 'trusmadiensis' then i'll let you and andrewmc know.

Thanks Welshy, no biggie, I was just curious. Have one of BE's which looks a bit different. However, from what I read they were quite a varied bunch. Like this cross, so I might get another one.

Regards,

Christer

Might as well chime in for once, since I've got a maxima x TM very similar to yours but with slightly chunkier peristomes. I got it from carnivoria.eu nearly a year ago, and have just assumed it was from BE. I can only find information on this hybrid being made by BE and EP (using a weird huge-mouthed dark maxima, I think), and as it was pretty small I'd say mine's a BE clone, judging by the physical similarities I would guess the same for yours too. A lot of assuming, I know, but I reckon plants would be a lot bigger and better advertised if they'd come all the way from EP.

Edited by Megasoma
  • Like 1

Hey Megasoma, thanks for breaking your silence, nice to speak to you :laugh1: 

I've always suspected mine was a BE clone as it came from Carnisana in October last year. I'm just waiting for confirmation from Matt or Albert at the moment, hopefully they'll get back to me soon.

• Like 1

Here it is. I didn't want start a thread just for this pic, but I will post it here temporarily until you have seen it. Only 10 cm tall, but I wish it was squatter (might change though). I like the distinctly ribbed peristome. Got hooked on this cross after seeing EP's plants, and the late Phill Mann had some really nice specimens too. From what I read BE's seed were from an Aussie source, but I don't know which N. maxima was used though.

maxtrus.JPG

Regards,

Christer

Edited by christerb
  • Like 1

Here it is. I didn't want start a thread just for this pic, but I will post it here temporarily until you have seen it. Only 10 cm tall, but I wish it was squatter (might change though). I like the distinctly ribbed peristome. Got hooked on this cross after seeing EP's plants, and the late Phill Mann had some really nice specimens too. From what I read BE's seed were from an Aussie source, but I don't know which N. maxima was used though.

maxtrus.JPG

Regards,

Christer

What is that plant?

Look very nice!!!

Thanks,

Just some of the latest pitchers to pop over the past week.

gallery_8151_931_95476.jpg  gallery_8151_931_188200.jpg

gallery_8151_931_201514.jpg  gallery_8151_931_83481.jpg

gallery_8151_931_157390.jpg  gallery_8151_931_177523.jpg

gallery_8151_931_100873.jpg  gallery_8151_931_256638.jpg

Last but by no means least is maxima x vogelii which i recommend you get hold of from Scotland Carnivorous Plants before they're all gone. This is the very first pitcher in my conditions and it's impressed me with the amount of stripes on the peristome, combined with it's slender colour-graduated body from red to purple, and a height of about 8cm. Quite surprsing for a young lower pitcher, and I think it's going to be a very impressive plant when it matures :smile:

gallery_8151_931_225155.jpg

Edited by Welshy
  • Like 4