Nepenthes seed finally germinated!

fksdl421

Its allways great to have seeds sprout, had to wait 8mnths for my last batch. I found with peat moss that often it will get fungus gnat larvae and when they run out of fungus to eat, they eat the seedlings if they've only just sprouted, so you probably made a good choice using live moss.

• Like 1

I actually had quite a lot of seeds sprout on me earlier in the year. If the seller was correct I've got quite a large batch of albomarginata now. However, I'm a bit unsure on how to proceed. Some sprouts actually died on me already. They turned brown and died. I think I might have had it too wet, if that's possible? I decided that since there were a lot of sprouts to chance it and transplant a couple to their own pots (and some sharing but spread out in the four corners of 1 pot). I seem to not have killed them (yet), but I was wondering about the care of Nepenthes seedlings from sprouting to adolescence. Any must do or don'ts to help a newbie out?

• Like 1

I have read that some sprouts could possibly killed by fungi because fungi love to munch on. And I also have heard that it is better to transplant when they are bigger than 3 inches. Or before sprouts have roots. We can transplant them. I have also read that we should lower the humid while the sprouts grow. ! Also we should not pour water directly on the small sprouts with its pitchers. It can cause them die too !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

That's so cool, well done, and especially for capturing on photo!

I have some N Inermis (x ?) just starting to sprout so I can share your sense of happiness. I got sent some more different seeds to plant, they arrived yesterday so fingers crossed I will have more to shout about.

How many seeds have sprouted so far?

Les

• Like 1

Thank you so much for ur congrats!! Wow innermis.!! That's so cool. !!! Wow. A lot of good luck for ur new coming seeds. So envious of you! Definitely many sprouts will appear:)!! I saw one sprout two days ago. And today. I found total 8 sprouts all together!!!

• 2 weeks later...

ec968e43d7903295fccff1c8f49f22be.jpg.

Recently. I got a lot of fresh N seeds from Fascinate CP grower. I planted them yesterday at dawn. I was so happy that I got fresh and big seeds I've never seen before !

The N seed became very transparent since I took them in H202 for 56hours. I can sure that this embryo is alive. !

Edited by fksdl421

• 3 weeks later...

I use a diluted solution, I bought 20% hydrogen peroxide and mixed 20cc with 80cc of distilled water. I then soak the seeds for 5 minutes, then rinse them with distilled water. I have never sterilised the soil with h202 but I have used a fungicide and an insecticide to treat the soil.

In the nepenthes section I have described what I used, take a look because I seem to have had reasonable success so far

Les

• Like 1

Thank you les for answering:)!

For H202 , I mixed hydrogen peroxide one or two spoon with one cup of distilled water. And I soaked the nepenthes seeds in that for 2days for sterilization. ! The seeds will be swollen ! And will get high germination rate with LSM:)!

the Live sphagnum moss will die with the hydrogen peroxide.

For dried sphagnum moss. I soaked them with water and heat up them in microwave for one minutes. That way the fungi and spores will die. But !! I don't like dried sphagnum moss. Since I bought cheap sphagnum moss at Home Depot and it got various fungi I've never seen !!!! So bad !

But I use the dead sphagnum moss for base and I use live sphagnum moss for the top dressing :)!

Edited by fksdl421
  • Like 1

I feel nice too !! Good luck to ur seeds :)! But !! Need to keep it mind. ! After 2 days in H202. The N seeds will be very softer so. I use a tweezer to pick them up and put on LSM. The process could exhaust you deadly. If you have a lot of seeds :(

Edited by fksdl421

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...