Repotting during pitchering

Blocky71

Hi all

I have what's labelled as a n.eymae and I'd like to repot it for two reasons.

Firstly it has grown a fair bit recently and the new developing pitchers are resting on the floor.

Secondly I keep finding dislodged soil around the pot making me think there's a worm or beastly in the soil.

My concerns are would repotting whilst the plant is around half way through producing new pitchers compromise them in any way?

cheers Blocky

From my experience, repotting often "kills" the pitchers. In particular if I remove all the old substrate carfully, which I usually do.

• Like 1

If you disturb the roots a lot it will stop them taking up water which may kill the pitchers. When i repot i don't disturb the roots but just put them in a bigger pot and add more compost around the bottom and sides.

Btw as Welshy mentioned opened pitchers can be ket going by adding water to them, this works for rootless plants sometimes as well. If pitchers run dry in normal conditions its often a sign of root problems.

Edited by manders
  • Like 1

I recently repotted a Nepenthes hamata with a small immature pitcher. The reason I did this was 'cos it just wasn't growing fast at all and came to the conclusion it was the experimental inorganic media it has been in for the past 18 months. I fully expected the pitcher to abort. As I'm trying to cut down on organic materials i repotted it in 50/50 inorganic and sphagnum moss. To my surprise the plant didn't abort the pitcher but has leapt into growth and the pitcher hasn't skipped a beat. Note to self: hamata likes at least some moss in the mix. You live and learn.....anyway long story short....yes it's possible to repot whilst pitchering just be careful re root disturbance.

Edited by Antony
  • Like 1

Thanks guys

If I was just going to put the contents into a bigger pot and pack some new soil down the sides then I'd risk it but as there's a critter living in there I'd sooner do a more thorough re pot.

Now is not the time I feel and I'm guessing it's just a harmless worm as the plant looks fine.

I'll monitor for now and take action if I see anything going downhill.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I decided to repot whilst new pitcher was still closed.

I thought once it was open I'd lose its juices whilst repotting and as you say have to replace it with water.

There was never gonna be a good time but it seems unaffected and yes, there were 3 worms in the soil.

The plant was sitting on a white windowsill, every morning there would be small amounts of dislodged soil around the pot.

They didn't seem to do any harm, I was just getting tired of cleaning up after them!.

Here is new pitcher that opened shortly after repotting.....

image.jpg3_zpsjoarphqb.jpg

• Like 4