Is it a change of environment problem?

Carnivorous-Owen

Hey guys, my latest batch of plants i bought from POLAND.

They arrived the other day and i planted them straight away, some indoors and others outdoors (larger plants).

I am limited for room so most went outside.

The Heliamphora i bought was a truely beautiful specimen so i planted instantly and thought that would grow the best out of all the CPs, but it's been slowly 'wilting' since?

It's planted here in Mid-Wales, UK so has the change of environment had an effect? Looking at others care guides, i come to the conclusion he was probably better grown indoors :(

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u488/owenmanuel/IMAG0605_zpsd90xyza7.jpg

looks like sun burn due to being exposed to direct sunlight too quickly. It will probably recover. However, I dont grow Heliamphora so not sure of its prefered growing conditions

Hi Owen

I only have a little experience with Helis but in comparison to Neps I've found them a little trickier and for me have seemed to do better in more stable conditions than being outdoors. The plants I grow are now in a terrarium although previously they were in a greenhouse with some heating during the winter. They did ok like this but every year seemed to take a long time to perk up after the winter as they need a lot of light. I have seen some lovely specimens from other grower's greenhouses and conservatories as well, so different growers have luck with different conditions I think.

I used to live near Brecon in Powys and there were many times that I wished the climate there was more like Venezuela ;)

Good luck with the plants! 

This doesn't surprise me Mantrid just hope it does recover! :)

Thank you Mark, yes i suppose it depends on each individual case, shame though, i want the little buggar to succeed ha!

Same i have seen lovely specimens too. I find neps difficult so i will little hope with this :/

I suppose it's all about trial and error

Thanks guys

Hey,

Usually, Heliamphora are cultivated indoors, in terrarium or greenhouse. Even though they can be quite tolerant to low level of air humidity, I would say it's better to keep them in environments in which hygrometry is high, but where the air still moves. A fan can help in this way.

As for light, these plants really enjoy strong level of light. However, if you wish to expose them to direct sunlight, this must be done very gradually in the case the plant was previously grown indoors, otherwise, there is quite a risk the plant will suffer from dessication and start wilting.

Finally, it's better for this plant's health to keep the temperature fresh during the day (around 25°C), and pretty cold at night, with a night drop of approximately 10°C. This should contribute to a good condition and will induce nice colouration of your plant.

I wish you all the best in growing it. Keep in mind this is a highland tropical plant from the tepuis of Venezuela/Guyana. If you have already a fresh terrarium under artificial light, you might consider putting your Heliamphora in it. But I would not grow this plant at the same place as a Drosera capensis.

Edited by Vince81

• 2 weeks later...

How is your heli doing Owen? I must say helis are a very gray zone for me as well. I got a H. heterodoxa x minor about a month ago and it is the only one of my CPs I don't have a real grip on what's going on.

I have the temps for a tropical CP but I'm being extra careful with the sun light, despite of that it is not growing as fast as I wish.

It's much the same shriveled, lost all colour and almost 'dry' looking, almost as if it's gone into dormancy? Although i insist it's not dead.

Yes, certainly much harder than the others i have had. That's the thing the sunlight is whats good to be extra careful on, whats it like in Stockholm? here it's unpredictable at the moment, thunderstorms today, heatwave yesterday! Not good for the CP's

A few months ago I got a small Heliamphora minor that looked really nice when I got it but when I put it outside it died within a few days. The whole plant just shriveled up and started turning brown like yours. Even if the growing point looks fine it is only a matter of time before that withers too. I don't think it is a good idea to grow them outside. I currently grow my purpurascens inside. I only put it outside at night for the temperature drop and leave it there during the day if it is cloudy. 

Here has summer finally arrived after weeks with highs in the 15-18 degrees range and lows in the 10-12 degrees.

My heli is "outside" with all the others and enjoys 25-30 degrees during the day and 17-18 at night. Still I'm very reserved with leaving it under full sun, maybe it's wrong.

• Like 1