Cephalotus Leaf Cuttings?

carnivorousDan

Hello just received my plants of Raymond and they are beautiful plants. I purchased eden black leaf cuttings of him and he sent me some sphagnum moss also and said keep leaf in the sphagnum. I have a few questions:

Do i just use sphagnum in pot and put leafs on top or do i use peat aswell?

Do i cover top with cling film or lid to create humidity.?

Do i feed from bottom ?

Dan

I normally lay the leaf the right side up flat on the moss with the cut end covered . I don't bother covering with cling film but I use clear plastic takeaway containers half filled with sphagnum , so I suppose humidity near the surface of the moss is quite high. I make sure the moss is nice and moist but not particularly water logged , growth should start from the cut end and I am patient

Hi Dan,

I would do the same as Corky. Keep the moss moist in a food tub with lid and reasonable light but not too hot.

If the leaf is green... keep waiting. If it goes brown from the tip... keep waiting. If it goes brown from the petiole (stalk) then you may have lost it!

Remember it will root first which you won't see in the moss and that may 'only' take 4-5 weeks but you may need to wait much longer before you actually see a growing cluster of leaves. The new roots are fairly delicate so I would avoid digging it up repeatedly to check it. Just be patient.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by CephFan

I just pulled four leaves off of my Ceph last Summer and poked them into pots. They have stayed green all the time so I am optimistic. They haven't sprouted yet but hopefully they do later. I accidently dried out the mother plant and I may have killed it but I am waiting for it to come back.

Hi David,

If they have been green for that long then they have almost certainly rooted. Now you just need to wait for that first little cluster of leaves.

Good job 'backing up' your Cephalotus, always worth doing!

Cheers

Steve

The method i used was a layer of peat moss/perlit on bottom of pot topped with sphagnum moss, i have poked the leaf i to the sphagnum and covered it with cling film. I have it sitting in small tray of water. I am opening the cling film each day to give air circulation as i read the sphagnum can go moldy. Does this method seem appropriate.thanks

Dan

Is it green live sphagnum or the dried stuff?

I have had mould on the dried stuff but not the live. Sounds like a good set up though Dan.

Cheers

Steve

Its live, it is mot fully green as of yet, i was sent it with the leaf cuttings from raymond which was very helpful. Can i take leaf cuttings of a plant at any time, also are pitcher pullings just the same or do they take faster. Thanks for the advice steve.

Here is to get an idea.

Those are cuttings from Cephalotus "Brewer's Red" clone that I took early in the spring...

The container with live sphagnum. There is a lid of the container that stays closed to keep the humidity high ( 100%), although in my greenhouse the humidity is 70% - 80% but seems not enough to root them without an extra container.

11269811_847918948579013_697898861617972

The root system.

11012036_847918945245680_128663126171723

Once they are rooted, they are ready to be potted.

11021556_847918935245681_227789667495734

Here is to get an idea.

Those are cuttings from Cephalotus "Brewer's Red" clone that I took early in the spring...

The container with live sphagnum. There is a lid of the container that stays closed to keep the humidity high ( 100%), although in my greenhouse the humidity is 70% - 80% but seems not enough to root them without an extra container.

11269811_847918948579013_697898861617972

The root system.

11012036_847918945245680_128663126171723

Once they are rooted, they are ready to be potted.

11021556_847918935245681_227789667495734

Thanks dimitar the picture has just made it clear what they will look like,hoping for the best. The 2 leaf currings are TriffidAlbany Black (TAB).

Thanks

Dan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These leaf cuttings can take a while. I took four leaf cuttings last Summer. The leaves are still green but no other signs of life yet.

I take it that this is normal.

Mine have got roots after a month, they havent showed any sign of new growth yet i am looking to transplant them to there pots soon