tuberous sundew ID please

meizwang

Can anyone ID these tuberous sundews? I think the first one is D. erythroriza of some sort, but I know Allen just re-named a bunch of the varieties as new species (ie. D.magna, D. squamosa, etc):

17321753038_4f46fdaa54_z.jpg

Note the hairs on the stem of this second one. The tuber was white and had a "wart-like" appearance:

17322827749_d74a01d16c_z.jpg

Edited by meizwang
  • Like 1

Hi Meizwang,

I would expect that the rosetted species is D. rosulata (depressed mid rib), for sure it is none of the erythrorhiza complex species.

The climbing species is one of those in the macrantha complex. I can not see the base of the stem, so I need to guess a little. It should be either D. planchonii or D. macrantha. Please check whether the stem has approx. the same diameter throughout its length. I would expect this is not the case. If so, this one most like is a D. macrantha. I do not think this is D. indumenta. This species has a very typical appearence when coming through the surface:

indumenta02.jpg

Also, it grows (and flowers) much later than the other D. macrantha complex species.

Best regards

Dieter

Thank you Dieter!  The D. rosulata has a flower bud, but I'm still debating whether or not I'm going to snip it because these just emerged a few weeks ago and will have a very short grow season.   I have D. indumenta, and they definitely look different, and planchanoii sounds plausible.  This climbing plant is going to bloom soon, so I'll take a pic of it when it opens.

The stem near the soil is really tiny, doesn't seem to fatten up even though the plant has grown quite tall.