Damned Slugs

Daniel G

So recently, about 2 weeks back, I went to check on my plants and OH THE HORROR! One of my Sarracenias has had the growing point chewed off. At this point I wouldn't be too annoyed really, but it's none less than my 'Adrian Slack'  :wall3: Has anyone else had this happen? It's the only growth point on the plant so far. There's no rot or significant die back as of yet.

I'll have to have a rummage around. Either way it's a chewing insect. I'll see if i spot any likely culprits and deal with them suitably  :triniti:

I think I may start putting some around on the staging then. I don't want anything else like this happening.

I take it I'll want to keep them off the growing media?

• 1 month later...

just my tuppence worth.

also picked off a slug from a purpurea (17-June) and am using a Garlic Spray. It works for other pests and I have seen that there was a study at Newcastle Uni that discovered that it messes with their internals (the garlic oil) and in 2 days, gone.
will post success in a few days once I have sprayed. A few things to note from, dare I say it, my non carnivorous growings,

Garlic Spray - Works as a deterrant initially, a lot of pests hate the odour.

Plant Garlic - Stick a few cloves in the ground and grow it near the carnivours.

Water in morning - they love the wet, damp and night time so try not to water at night. Can see +/-80% reduction

Leave a plank, bin bag on ground near plants - this will attract them during day, simply overturn it and find them 'hiding' during day

Beer Trap - Bitter/Ale works better than lager. Avoid watery home label ones as they seem to not like it.

attract natural enemies (hedgehog, Blackbirds) as this is probably the most effective and naturally balanced approach. I know Blackbirds will then probably strip any moss but if done feb/march they should be prob too distracted getting slugs.

if anyone else can advise I'd be grateful as it seems its been a bumper year for slug hanky panky in Norn Iron

• Like 1

As an update on the plant. It has three new growth points appearing and the original growth point is practically back to normal. 

Now I'm wondering if these new points are as a result of losing the main one for a time or not.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

More or less a month down the line and the results from the Norn Iron Jury are in......

Like you Daniel G have started to see new growth and the plant seems to be in no real distress.

The bulb of Garlic, crushed, left to settle in water in a bottle for a day or two, then misted over the place seems to have done a better job than most things and of course contains no nasties for the plants.

Some of these things were like snakes and I know that there are none of them lads over here thanks to St Pat but erm... these would give em a run for their money.

the odd time I patrol at night if outside locking car etc... and skewer the odd one or two. A lot lot less than the last few months. Once skewered they even provide a nice evening snack for them with the double bubble bonus of slugs being of a mind to avoid the smell of a dead slug. Job Done.

• 3 weeks later...

We're lucky thankfully, we have hedgehogs that devour our slugs and snails along with my dog who thinks they're delicious, she has tablets that cover lungworm from the vet. Last year it cost a fortune on plants and slug pellets, but I haven't had to use anything this year *touches wood*. Collecting them in beer traps and under citrus skins is a good way to get rid of them,, and wide copper tape is good at deterring them.