Sign in to follow this  
lesthegringo

fast growing species

Guys, I am amongst the fortunate few who have the luck of being able to live in different places, but like all good things, it does have its downsides. For me it means never being able build a kit car, or more relevantly to this forum, grow plants take a long time to grow. This is because on average I am moved on every three years. I'm hoping to be here for five, but can't count on it.

I have a number of relatively mature plants obtained from Exotica plants, who have a limited, but reasonable range but excel in that the plants they supply are a good size. Some they have supplied were 60cm across with four mature lower pitchers!

However if I want something that they don't have, the alternative suppliers here only have 6 - 8 cm plants, which means a long wait if I am to see a mature plant. As I have limited time, I would prefer to choose ones that grow at a reasonably fast pace, so if anyone who has any suggestions on this can let me know I'd love to hear from you!

cheers

Les

Edited by lesthegringo

Hi !

All depends of the kind of plants you want... Lowland or highland ?

Hi !

All depends of the kind of plants you want... Lowland or highland ?

I think Intermediate to highland are best suited for my setup - I let the temperature drop below 17, which although not too cold for a lowland would mean pretty slow growing for at least a third of the year.

Les

Despite the lack of sun and colder winter temperatures, I can recommend N. Boschiana x (truncata x campanulata) as my example is pitchering like crazy and throwing out offshoots. Nice coloured tall and elegant lower pitchers so far, and they way it is growing I'm sure to have some intermediate and upper pitchers in the not too distant future.

It is by far the fastest grower I have, even outstripping the two N Ventricosas I have.

Cheers

Les