Drosera regia SOS

. D. regia doesn't need or want a lot of ions in its soil, it just likes very pure water. I killed mine with a dose of fertilizer  ......

. Even grew regia for eight years. It is extremely picky. It has been very difficult for me .......

If not, then why was it happy for eight years ,,,,,,

Which version am I supposed to respond to Dave? No wonder you're confused.

• Like 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And now the moment you've all anxiously been waiting for!   A much healthier D. regia:     It's night time so I had to bring it indoors in order to get a decent picture, but I'd say it looks

Dave, u have 1129 posts in CPUK and I haven't seen not even one photo of your plants for so many posts u did, so would u please post some recent updated pics of your greenhouse, plants, cultivars, clo

Fred and Dave clearly have different experiences with growing this species. Pictures of Dave's plants in the environment for which he grows them might give us an insight into the differences.

If u want to get reasonable answers u have to ask reasonable questions. Otherwise there is a chance to get answers like this above.

I don't know if your post was directed at me Dimitar, but if it was, i wasn't really asking a question.

Anyway, this just keeps getting worse, i shall remove myself from this mess...

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, here's some followup:

The last three leaves my D. regia have produced have all had at least 50% of the leaf covered in functional carnivorous hairs with dew and everything. This is a marked improvement from the barren, barely functional, quickly blackening leaves that were being produced before. It's now even catching some prey on its own! Thanks for the advice, everyone!

A little more shade, a flush of pure water, and no fertilizer whatsoever put the plant in a much happier state of being.

Edited by NepXGorgicus

They look a bit more like this?

In your 20 years experiences, do you have any idea how your regia or greenhouse would be like when the day temperatures reaches above 35℃ (air temperature, not in the greenhouse), and night temperatures stay above 25℃ for several weeks?

49b21a0cjw1etgg766uznj20h807ltad.jpg

The picture above is a history record for a costal city(northern latitude 30°) in mainland China on July 2014.

Edited by imonyse

No one would be able to definitively say it'll be fine unless someone from a similar climate has tried. Best bet is to ask around locally to see if anyone has experience and if not, simply try and see if it works for you.

Here is the climate data for the single area of the world that D. regia grows, if that helps at all?

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Wellington-weather-averages/Western-Cape/ZA.aspx

Edited by Stu
  • 3 weeks later...

And now the moment you've all anxiously been waiting for!

A much healthier D. regia:

sVm0rON.jpg

K6O3p8I.jpg

It's night time so I had to bring it indoors in order to get a decent picture, but I'd say it looks much healthier now than it did before!

It's got functional carnivorous leaves, and everything!

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

pDRVlB0.jpg

This D. regia is perking up in a rather nice way! It now produces one functional carnivorous leaf after another without any fuss. I'm never going to try fertilizing this thing again, despite the sources that say it can be done. I hope now it will only continue to grow and thrive. I want a big monsterpus like some of the D. regias posted earlier.

This will be my final follow-up photo in this thread. For additional pictures of this plant you can check my catch-all picture thread here:
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54752

• Like 1