Drosera regia SOS

NepXGorgicus

And those plants don't grow in New Jersey... You can't get them to survive. Many people have tried. You guys are doing something or providing condition we can't.

Uhh, already been there, got the t-shirt and everything. Even grew regia for eight years. It is extremely picky. It has been very difficult for me and everyone else I know in North America that has tried to grow it, with the exception being folks in San Francisco and north thereof.

If you'll notice, even Peter D'Amato places his regia directly in front of the wet wall so it receives the most highly conditioned air.

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~dpevans/Drosera/D_regia.htm

You know what? This species would probably naturalize in the UK quite well. That would be a much better species to let grow wild than is S. purpurea as purpurea is not remotely threatened while D. regia has only one location in a continually shrinking habitat.

Edited by Dave Evans

But... I'm not getting ultra-high temperatures, and I AM getting a temperature drop into the 60F range at night. Isn't that... more correct? It hasn't even touched 90F here. If it doesn't improve with some more shade I'll have to move it inside. It should do fine in an Intermediate-Highlander Nepenthes setup, right?

Edited by NepXGorgicus

Dave, f you found D. regia to be very picky then you were obviously growing it wrongly. Don't blame the plant.

Also why throw Peter D'Amato into the mix when he's not in this conversation? He's just another grower who happens to have written a book. His experiences are no more valid than anyone else's. Mentioning the book, he must have got it wrong in the first attempt as he had to rewrite it

Edited by FredG

After flushing out the soil REALLY THOROUGHLY, growth seems to have sped up slightly over the course of a few days. I think in my inexperience I almost fried it by fertilizing it incorrectly. It is the same solution I use to foliar feed Nepenthes so I thought it would handle it, I messaged the guys from Calif. Carnivores (it was where I bought the Maxsea) before I did and they didn't have any major objections other than that they thought the plant was too young. Nevertheless it's a minor improvement for now. Maybe I'll flush it a bit more for good measure.

It's in the shadow of a rather large asparagus fern now, so it should filter the light somewhat before it comes into contact with the plant. If it continues to have trouble, then inside it goes. Thanks for the help, everyone! I was reading one guide where the guy said he had seedlings that would starve to death without an osmocote pellet or two, so I was nearly ready to fertilize the darn thing again. I thought it was starving. >_<

We'll see if heat is (or continues to be) a problem. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Edited by NepXGorgicus

Dave, f you found D. regia to be very picky then you were obviously growing it wrongly. Don't blame the plant.

Also why throw Peter D'Amato into the mix when he's not in this conversation? He's just another grower who happens to have written a book. His experiences are no more valid than anyone else's. Mentioning the book, he must have got it wrong in the first attempt as he had to rewrite it

??? Actually, his new version is basically a corrected, better edited version of the original book. I feel you must be newer to the hobby. Slack and D'Amato both contributed greatly to the cultivation of CP's. In the meantime, from when the first version was published, many new species were introduced to cultivation and thus were also included in the update.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v33n3p83_89.html#easy

Please do notice how the author tried several times to get this species started and only a mutant, extra forgiving clone of the species would even grow for him. I received my plants from the same source and it was likely the same clone--extra easy regia is still demanding.

Hello..???

Dave, u have 1129 posts in CPUK and I haven't seen not even one photo of your plants for so many posts u did, so would u please post some recent updated pics of your greenhouse, plants, cultivars, clones, varieties etc..

Hello???

??? Actually, his new version is basically a corrected, better edited version of the original book. I feel you must be newer to the hobby. Slack and D'Amato both contributed greatly to the cultivation of CP's. In the meantime, from when the first version was published, many new species were introduced to cultivation and thus were also included in the update.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v33n3p83_89.html#easy

Please do notice how the author tried several times to get this species started and only a mutant, extra forgiving clone of the species would even grow for him. I received my plants from the same source and it was likely the same clone--extra easy regia is still demanding.

You are fast convincing me that you do not really read the replies to you Dave.You just repeated what I said. He got it wrong the first time and had to correct.

I don't think I'm a newcomer either, I've already told you I've been growing Darlingtonia for 32 years and Drosera regia for 27 years. I could also add in Cephalotus for 32 years and I still have the original clone of all these three species

D. regia is not demanding in the least but there is something you need to do first, GET THE CONDITIONS RIGHT. This applies to any plant, so if you can't get it right don't grow the plant.

Edited by FredG

PBF020-Skub.gif

Here's my impression of how this thread is going.

FredG, assuming I have flushed out my D. regia adequately to make absolutely sure incorrect fertilization isn't the problem, do you think that sunburn / overheated roots might be a problem as Dave Evans is suggesting, or no?

I've told you how mine are grown my friend, the rest is up to you.  :thumbsup:

When I started there was no internet, we had to read books. I had Adrian Slack's 1979 book Carnivorous Plants to go on and that was it.

So that means I've been doing it wrong for 27 years by sitting the pots in water with air temperatures  of   100F + ( 38C +) 

I feel you must be newer to the hobby.

How long does someone need to be in the hobby before they are no longer classed as new Dave?

Just like posts in a forum, or articles in a blog, an authors writings can be their personal experience or opinion and not necessarily any more or less valid than any other persons. 

• Like 1

I would actually be interested in seeing those as well. :D

My D. regia is making some progress, it sped up a little bit after I flushed it. I definitely did more harm than good by trying the Maxsea. >_>

It looks like one of the leaves kinda has some dew on it... kinda. Not really enough to catch a bug but I consider it technically progress. Maybe the new leaves will look a little better.

You guys have been a lot of help. Even though Fred and Dave may not necessarily agree with each other, I appropriated both their advice where I saw fit, and it seems to be working slowly but surely! It continues to produce new growth, so hopefully this summer it will fully establish itself.

Edited by NepXGorgicus

Dave to ask u once again, any chance to see pictures of your plants since u are not newer to the hobby?

For what? I don't bother taking pics.

I really can't understand what's wrong with certain people on this forum, all they do is pick on people, be obnoxious and brag about themselves.

If u want to get reasonable answers u have to ask reasonable questions. Otherwise there is a chance to get answers like this above.

However, Dave has not asked a question in this post and I fail to see how pictures of his plants will prove a point. Both Dave and Fred are giving advice on their own experiences which are completely subjective - so fair enough. OP simply wants to know how to improve his Regia so instead of blowing smoke into the fire, why don't we offer further advice or well wishes. This is exactly why experienced growers leave the forum.

Good luck OP, sounds like it's working mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fail to see how explaining the species prefers cooler conditions is not taking the "conditions" into account as Fred mentioned... I'm just sort of lost as to what his point is.

Joseph didn't mention that he changed his growing conditions, he clearly said he tried a different variety of D. regia! Way to go at missing the entire point of his article.

He says my mentioning other growers that have had the same experience is "into the mix when he's not in this conversation?". Really???

I'm so confused. Did we go to court?

Edited by Dave Evans

However, Dave has not asked a question in this post and I fail to see how pictures of his plants will prove a point. Both Dave and Fred are giving advice on their own experiences which are completely subjective - so fair enough. 

Fred and Dave clearly have different experiences with growing this species. Pictures of Dave's plants in the environment for which he grows them might give us an insight into the differences.

• Like 2

I fail to see how explaining the species prefers cooler conditions is not taking the "conditions" into account as Fred mentioned... I'm just sort of lost as to what his point is.

Joseph didn't mention that he changed his growing conditions, he clearly said he tried a different variety of D. regia! Way to go at missing the entire point of his article.

He says my mentioning other growers that have had the same experience is "into the mix when he's not in this conversation?". Really???

I'm so confused. Did we go to court?

I'm still not sure what's going on in this thread, but somehow I managed to get the advice I needed, so I'm not complaining.

• Like 1

Fred and Dave clearly have different experiences with growing this species. Pictures of Dave's plants in the environment for which he grows them might give us an insight into the differences.

The plant was growing fine for me. I don't understand what he means that my conditions are "not good". If not, then why was it happy for eight years until I fertilized the pot it was in????

The Fert didn't bother the Drosera capensis and N. burbidgeae growing with the regia in the same pot. AFAIK, burdidgeae is also a touchy species.

But course, Fred here is about to display his easy-to-grow burbidgeae forest...

That was two years ago. I have no plants to take pictures of, but I can take a photo of the pot it was in :) I put a ventricosa in its spot. Which is a lot easier to grow, BTW.

Edited by Dave Evans