Anyone seen.....

I was wondering the same thing. What a shame. I felt he was one of the good guys, knowledgeable and strived to do constructive things for our shared interest.

Is a big shame he has gone, he's one of the best!

Bad wishes to those who hounded him off the group :verymad:

• Like 1

Stephen's been here since the start of the forum and is arguably one of the biggest contributors to the entire CP community. It's sad not having his expertise here ultimately due to the petty comments of the few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gardenofeden is still around but has chosen to leave CPUK. I think he was subject to one too many silly attacks about the naming of Eden Black.

Huh?

Bad wishes to those who hounded him off the group :verymad:

I don't think he was 'hounded off'. His Eden Black was challenged and he chose to leave the forum rather than defend it. And TBH, he didn't participate much in the forum in more recent times.

I actually don't think anyone said anything against Stephen, rather it was his cultivar that was brought into question. And to be honest, it is the ridiculous cultivar rules that allow such nonsense to prevail in the first place...

Okay, all I'm getting from our discussions is that "naturalized plants" somehow get referred to as "native", when everyone already knows S. purpurea is a North American species.

Then dimitar says he doesn't like cultivars because they don't work like greges. Here's the thing: Cutlvars are defined by their author; not bullshit "rules". The "rules" standardize how these different ideas are implemented. They make sure we don't confuse (1) a cultivar for (2) a grex or for (3) a Scientific Binomial (Latin is no longer required).

They don't "rule out this plant or that plant from being a cultivar"; that is up to the author. I grow cultivars from seed each and every year, and then you guys come and explain, no those can't "really be cultivars" if you're growing those plants from seed 'because when I learned about cultivars, most of example plants I learned from were clone only cultivars and now I'm biased'. All this looks like to me that people are mistakenly believing cultivars are clones. If that was the case, we could logically just call them "clones" and not "cultivated varieties".

Edited by Dave Evans
  • Like 1

This thread is going off topic.

Bringing it slightly back on topic, as Dimitar mentioned EB in relation to cultivars, this was a seed grown plant that became a cultivar. However, EB x self surely can not be considered to the the same cultivar as it won't necessarily have the same characteristics for which the cultivar was registered.

In this situation a cultivar is a single clone. So selfed seedlings would not be Eden Black, you could label them as Eden Black x self. But just as likely to cause more confusion in the long run.

Edited by manders