No roots !

Rafle

Hello !

I just received my new nepenthes hamata but the poor thing has no roots :(.

I must say that i was very sad when i saw this because the plant comes from a supposed serious seller, so i really dont understand how he could send me a plant (very expensive) without any roots ! :'(

I dont want it to die so could you give me some advices please ?

Edited by Rafle

I would put the base in moist sphagnum moss and keep the plant in very high humidity or in a sealed plastic bag,also in a bright spot but no direct sunlight.

It should grow roots in a month or two

• Like 1

Just an afterthought, but was it advertised as an 'unrooted cutting' ?

No ... the plant was supposed to have roots ...

I sent an email with a picture of the plant yesterday and i still dont have any answers :/

I really dont understand i feel kind of betrayed honnestly the plant was so expensive ... And the worst part is i got a young N.vogelii as a "gift" but this plant doesnt have roots either ...

Well i'm not sure if i want to tell who is the seller now because i ordered several time on his website (few nepenthes) and i was really happy ..
I can tell he is french seller and he has a website.

If i cannot find any solution then i'll tell you his name.

here is a link that shows the plant

http://hpics.li/236b4c0

Edited by Rafle

You should be either more precise or more vague.

There are several French nurseries/sellers which run a website, and I'm pretty sure that not all deserve to be doubted.

However, pure living sphagnum should be fine with this species alongside cool temperature. You can bag it with a ziplock to help it while it grows roots.

Edited by Vince81

In 2009, I received two small N. hamata clones. Neither had any roots. As you can see from this thread, everything turned out well. It's probably a good idea to start a dialog with the seller but replacements may not be necessary (at this time) if you can reach an understanding.

I don't deny it can grow roots, but there's a difference between buying rooted, developed plant and freshly removed stem fragment. You think both are worth the same amount of money? Not for me. It's as if someone was selling Cephalotus and all you got was leaf. Sure it can grow roots but I'd rather not be surprised like this. Well, if seller is solid then whole thing will be soon resolved, most likely ending with an immediate replacement or warranty that if Nepenthes dies the new one comes Rafle's way.

Edited by Ptaah
  • Like 1

Well i got an answer today ... I agree that it is disapointed to get a plant without root.

The seller explained that he got many nepenthes hamata some time ago and there were from Borneo Exotic. They were plants from In Vitro. He told me that once you take them away from the agar solid media the plant loses its roots ... which is normal, and it can grows during several years without roots.

I think i can trust him because this guy has a good reputation in france (at least) and you saw a picture form the side of the plant but, if i take a picture from the top you will see that the plant has 10 leaves now which means it's not a "very very young" plant that just went out of In Vitro cultivation.

Finally he told me to tell him if the plant doesnt grow or die... Maybe he was fake and pretended like he cared i dont know.

So my heart is telling me to trust the guy, maybe i'm a naive person i don't know.

Edited by Rafle

Now that sounds like buying a new car and it's delivered without wheels. It'll be OK once you put wheels on it but you have to do that.  Would you accept it?

Edited by FredG

As conclusion i decided to trust the seller and if anything goes wrong i will let him now and i think he will find a solution (since he is a serious seller rigth :D).

I think my hamata is growing :) i've noticed that one leaf is opening :) (i should make a timelaps to check that out) ...

As conclusion i decided to trust the seller and if anything goes wrong i will let him now and i think he will find a solution (since he is a serious seller rigth :D).

I think my hamata is growing :) i've noticed that one leaf is opening :) (i should make a timelaps to check that out) ...

The problem is neps will stay green and even attempt to grow with no roots, i've had plants survive like that for allmost two years. But if it doesnt grow roots it will eventually die and it will be too late to get a refund for a replacement plant.

Will the seller really do anything one year from now?

Edited by manders

The problem is neps will stay green and even attempt to grow with no roots, i've had plants survive like that for allmost two years. But if it doesnt grow roots it will eventually die and it will be too late to get a refund for a replacement plant.

Well i think all his hamata are the same (from BE in vitro) ... What am i supposed to do then ? Take back my money and buy somewhere else ( somewhere else which means Wistuba pretty much) and i saw on forums people with the same "no roots" problem on hamata from wistuba's order so ...

Ok i was mad at him, he gave me an explaination. Now all i can do is : try to make it grow with really high humidity lvl and hopefully the plants will produce roots or i just send it back to seller ask for refund and try to find a descent hamata somewhere else with maybe the same problem again.

I am kind of lost here but i feel like i have no choice. At least the hamata i have has a good size .

Edited by Rafle