SD Kronos

FlytrapRanch

Beautiful plant, Steve! 

And to respond to Ptaah, Steve is not shipping live plants over seas. But, I will be shipping sterile cultures of SD Kronos overseas as soon as Steve gives me the OK. :D

Can't wait then, hope it's gonna be this year :) Thanks for the info!

Can't wait then, hope it's gonna be this year :) Thanks for the info!

I can't say for certain when it will be. But, I do know that it could be possible for Steve to start offering plants by the end of the year, depending on how fast the TC babies grow invivo.... But, if I had to guess, I would say spring of 2016 is when SD Kronos will become available to everyone :)

Edited by mdeford09

is Maroon Monster available in Europe yet?

I've shipped quite a few tubes and flasks from the FlytrapStore International to the EU, so it's definitely over there.  You should be able to find it in people's collections.  Alternatively, you could order one from the store.  I've taken all cultures out of stock until the fall, but I still take private orders by request as I have time.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It is now July, 2015, midseason for the Flytraps in the northern hemisphere. I gave one of my two pots of SD Kronos to Mike Deford, a friend in Texas who has been tissue culturing SD Kronos for wider distribution.

This is the same pot and plants as pictured in the photo at the beginning of this discussion, at lower right in the photo, taken in March of this year. He took a couple new photos of it a few days ago, which show the growth in these last 4 months. Here they are--

XoXprVB.jpg

SmD8tpI.jpg

Edited by FlytrapRanch

She's a tiny little plant Steve. Biggest trap I have found so far has been right around 5cm (the one in the pic was just the easiest to measure since it is a tangled mess of traps towards the center! lol) and there are dozens over 4cm.

Biggest plant, on average, I have ever seen. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it puts up the rare super large traps like B52 and DC XL do on occasion! :D

Here are some more pics of it, Steve. Even one of it next to a Big Vigorous that is around the same age. I uprooted and kept one mature plant and 1 small division in their own pot. (the one in the comparison photo was 2 growing points but they were so strongly connected, I didn't want to break them apart just yet)

iCSiQpB.jpg

1DL1uFC.jpg

Izzpjmr.jpg

It really is amazing to see how that plant makes a 1 inch gnome look so tiny. Even more so considering its nearly august and our growing season starts in February so it is definitely well into summer growth with fall growth right around the corner. :)

SD Kronos is the result of the breeding program at FlytrapRanch.com, New Mexico, US.

As of this time (July, 2015) sources for SD Kronos include--

* Myself (Stephen Doonan) - I have the original plant as well as a few natural divisions, and plan to grow some tissue cultured clones of SD Kronos for sale or distribution in the US.

* Mike Deford in Texas, US (cpukforum username mdeford09) - Mike has several natural divisions of SD Kronos and is actively producing tissue culture jars of SD Kronos clones for possible sale to countries other than the US, as well as growing SD Kronos as individual plants (outside of tissue culture) which can only legally be sold within the US, while clone plantlets in sterile containers can be sold to people in most countries.

For the time being, inquiries from UK or EU vendors or growers about the availability or price of flasks (sterile tissue culture containers) of SD Kronos plantlets can be directed to Mike, above. In time, I'm sure there will be additional US sources of sterile flasks of SD Kronos that can be legally shipped to countries worldwide.

Edited by FlytrapRanch

It is my hope that SD Kronos can and will be available to and enjoyed by whomever would like to grow it anywhere in the world. I'm proud of having produced the plant from my own breeding program, but it is NOT my primary aim to make money from this clone; I would rather have it be distributed and enjoyed by as many people as possible.

I'm sorry it is taking so long to propagate SD Kronos, but that is typical with Venus Flytraps, even with the advantage of tissue culture to produce clones. I'm guessing that within 8 months to a year or two, SD Kronos will be much more available to anyone who wants it. Because someone might be tempted to sell another clone or typical Venus Flytrap as "SD Kronos" just to make money, try to obtain it from a trusted source, even if you must wait a little while for it to become available.

Edited by FlytrapRanch
  • Like 1

SD Kronos was one of a batch of several hundred seedlings grown from Flytrap Ranch seed germinated in late 2011. Within several months it had already outgrown all of the other Venus Flytraps in that group in terms of plant size, trap size and density of the rosette (number of leaves on the plant).

SD Kronos is a prostrate plant (the leaves grow low to the soil surface all year, never upright), with short, wide leaves and large traps. Here is a baby picture--

sExdX5G.jpg

Edited by FlytrapRanch