VFT question

jim3rg

Well maybe two.

In case you didn't know, I purchased two venus fly trap plants which were in a sorry state. They are overcrowded and the compost was very dry.

I have ordered some larger pots and some fresh compost.

For now I have stood the pots in a tray of distilled water about 2 cm deep, I had to top it up as the compost absorbed the water quickly.

The questions I have are...

Do I need to seperate the plant or can I just transplant the VFT as it is, just removing as much of the old compost as possible?

Also how often should I change the water?

Apologies if this is in the wrong place and for any dumb questions, but I am a beginner and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

Good start on the compost. The water you just top up and I'd keep the 2cm  as a constant. I'd say you were also correct in removing as much of the old compost as possible as it's possibly been watered with tap water. When repotting there should not be a problem in separating the individual plants and spacing them out a little.

Good luck

Just remove what's dead Jim

Chances are as Fred said, plant may have already received some tap water plus the repotting and drying out will all take there toll...

Traps turning black and dying off is a normal process and nothing to worry about as long as you've got signs of new growth and it's not the whole plant ,.

Good luck with the rescued plants .

Hello folks, just a quick update.

I repotted both plants, one has almost no roots, a few very thin strands almost theadbare so I dont hold much hope for this one. The other had a lot more roots and a lot more trap growth but again it just seems lifeless. The new compost and good water may help but I dont hold much hope. If not I may well be looking to buy a plant or two.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks. Firstly I would like to thank everyone for the advice and help with my poor flytraps.

I think they are finally recovering.

I successfully triggered a trap on both plants and they responded well. They both have a healthier look about them.

Fingers crossed that they are past the critical stage.

Jim

Hi Jim. If you feel that the plants are rather weak, you generally shouldn't trigger the traps unnecessarily as it expends energy - unless you're feeding of course. As long as they're receiving plenty of light they'll come on well. BW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Brendan, I won't do it again, I just got a bit curious. Now that I know, I will let them bask in the sunshine and top up the water.

They look a lot better than they were, even the plant I was certain would die has improved and new traps are emerging.

Jim