perlite?

desana

Yep, we got 100litres for 18quid which in the local garden center would have got a few measly small bags. Stored it in the garage with the irish moss peat we bought in case that ever gets even harder to find... :D

Edited by manders

• 2 weeks later...

I never have.

Edit: There will be dust from the dry perlite that you definitely do not want to be breathing in. You can either start your mixing outside and stand upwind or give the perlite a light spray first or possibly both.

Edited by FredG

I never have.

Edit: There will be dust from the dry perlite that you definitely do not want to be breathing in. You can either start your mixing outside and stand upwind or give the perlite a light spray first or possibly both.

Yes, do be careful of Perlite dust. It can cause Silicosis (nasty) if you breathe in the fine dust particles.

For this reason, I always wear a half-face mask when dealing with it dry. (I don't bother pre-wetting as the peat takes care of that in the mix).

If you want to wet/wash the 100L perlite, probably the best way would be in a plastic dustbin - pour it all in, flood the bin, swish it around, then carefully strain off the perlite or water.

• 2 weeks later...