Ask for the way to keep my tuberous drosera

shane239a

I am sorry for asking this question again and again.

I have already ask somebody for this question, but I still have problems.

In my country, people here depart tuberous drosera in two kinds.

One we call them "the wet type" another one we call them "the dry type".

For the wet type we the pot in the shallow water.

On the other hand, we water the dry type above the pot and we do not water it everyday.

For keeping thery tuber, we will not give any single drop of water for the dry type tuber.

And for the wet one, we will keep there media from drying out.

So I want to ask, is anyone here will depart them in these two way??

Or you just treat them in a same way?

If you also depart them in these way, what tuberous drosera is dry type and what is wet type?

If not, how do you deal with them?

I treat all the same. During cold days in their growing season they all have humid soil, not wet. when I keep them outside and there is rain I allow them to have t, but than I don't allow them to stand in water. I have high pots around 20 cm or so and 1-2 cm of water level, occasionally I allow it to dry out and than water again. I don't divide to more water resistant and less. Providing constantly humid soil is working very well. When the dormancy approaches, when a species starts to go dormant I stop watering it at all and allow soil to dry out. It never dries out to bone, there is always some residual humidity deep in the soil which in my plastic pots works very well. In clay pots the soil would dry to the bone, in whole depth, but I don't know if that would be good.

Thank you very much indeed, dimitar. So you won't water until the next season start? By the way, may I ask you why you call it "bone"?

Thank you very much indeed, Cephalotus. I use clay pots to plant them. Because the wheather here often hot (over 20C). I consider clay pot maybe is good for keeping the temp lower. Maybe I will try to use plastic plot next time. Is white plots with white sand cover the soil do will on cooling down the temp or because it is plastic it will still make the temp higher?

Thank you very much indeed, dimitar. So you won't water until the next season start? By the way, may I ask you why you call it "bone"?

- Yes, u got me correct. :tu: I'll try to explain more...

Well,  I start to water them once when they start emerging on the surface of the pots -  I can see a slight visible growth or flower stalk. Usually this happens here in late autumn when the weather is a cool and I keep the pots soaked in water i. e. the pots stand in water through autumn, winter, spring to early summer. In the summer, when the weather starts to warm significantly, the tuber sundews go in "dormancy" to escape the heat in the summer and at this time they don't need anymore water, so I take out the pots of the water and they spend all hot summer without a drop of water "bone dry" i. e the compost is totally dry like "desert "...

Do u understand? Does this answer your questions?

Definitely clay pot will better give away heat, but also humidity, so the pot should more likely stand in shallow water during plants growth. Taiwan you say... Well, I don't really know what weather you have there, but it does not really sound good for Tuberous Drosera cultivation. they go dormant when temperature is longer above 20*C and wake up when it drops for longer time below 20*C. Could you write how long you have temperatures regularly below 20*C? If not much, than how you manage to grow them at all? Do you have some sort of cooling system?

Thank you very much indeed, dimitar.

Yes, your reply answer my question.

To Cephalotus,

I don't really know how long for the growing season need.

So I didn't do any cool down.

Maybe four months here the temp will below 20*C.

Is that too short??

The only way I cool the temp down is avoid the sunlight.

Thank you very much indeed, Cephalotus.