Grow room needs some colour

TCurrell

Hi guys,

My grow room is full of nepenthes, drosera and VFT's but it needs some colour.

I need some suggestions of flowering plants to add colour to it to make it less nepenthes dominated. I have a young Macuna nigricans which is ages off flowering and an Aristolochia kewensis which could flower any time soon and will no doubt stink the place out. I was thinking along the lines of some rhododendron's preferably malaysian species. I want to steer away from orchids for the time being but would quite like something that can be grown epiphitically to maybe join my mini display i am working on in the corner.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Not sure how long and often Rhododendron would flower for you - if it's similar to our hardy species and varieties then you wouldn't have much colour throughout the season. In my opinion Phalaenopsis orchid would be the best choice as there are many colors to choose from, it's extremely easy to grow plus it blooms almost non stop.

Guest Olivermurray7373

I know you don't want orchids, but I grow bulbophyllums, I have about 25 and I find them so easy to grow beside nepenthes. They don't mind being damp and the are so fascinating. Not for everyone because of the smell, but we'll worth it. Really rewarding and exciting, we'll worth a go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about epiphytic cacti, rhipsalidopsis, schlumbergera?  Easter/Christmas cacti in other words. Plenty of nice coloured long lasting flowers.

Guest Olivermurray7373

Emm we'll for the smell, in my opinion they don't actually smell that bad. Some smell a bit, most don't smell at all and some actually quite nice. Some growers say they smell like rotting flesh, but I am not really familiar with the smell of rotting flesh. All of my flowers have only lasted for 2-4 weeks , but the flowers are worth it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk