Sign in to follow this  
Pericles

New N.Graciliflora

Hey guys, I received this CP, and it's my first Nepenthes, I'd like a little help about the lightning and the health of my new plant ok? Thanks in advance!!!! and hear it is:

UFHIJ3J.jpggQYbLK3.jpgKMDL2uZ.jpg

Hard to tell about the lighting but maybe a bit on the low side where you have it.

It looks like its potted in spaghnum so be carefull not to over water!

These carnivorous plant nearly all like higher than normal humidity and they tend to enjoy bright lighting conditions.  In fact, when the humidity is high enough, they can stay in the sun all day and be happy with it, the leaves just grow darker and shorter with the pitchers being larger.  However, you can't just take a plant that has already adapted to shady conditions and place it in bright light, it will burn and become sick.  It has to go through a sort of renewal process of slowly being introduced back into the bright light over a several week time frame.  The plant needs that time to grow new leaves that are adapted to the higher light levels.

The soil should stay moist.  Not dry, not wet.  In between.  Once it is adapted to more light, you can give it more water, but for now too much water can rot the roots.

As an aside, wow I'm so happy to see that after knowing for twenty years this isn't N. alata and telling people for ten years that N. graciliflora isn't N. alata, folks new to the hobby are finally being introduced to this species under the correct name (hopefully)!

That is worthy of celebration in and of itself!

Edited by Dave Evans