Sign in to follow this  
Dennis

N. Edwardsiana

Wistuba has their Edwarsiana's offered again so I decided to purchase 1. 

I was wondering what conditions and potting mix they required and if you have any opinions of your own. Also, this is a general question regarding tiny nepenthes babies. How do they feed with such tiny pitchers? Would it be beneficial to try and put ants in that teeny tiny pitcher if i can? Would it be ok to cut the lid off after it pops open so i can easily feed it? Because some of my new plants are still pitcher-less and I've noticed they're growing very slow compared to those with pitchers and abundant food. 

As for care, I've gathered thus far: 

Prefers humidity at 60% to 80%, potting mix of Perlite - Sphagnum moss - bark, 21 to 29 celsius during the day. And about 16 degree Celsius during the night. These I can provide. 

I'm growing a Nepenthes Lowii, N. Burbidgeae, N. Vetichii, N. Robcantleyi amongst other normal species. So would I be correct to assume Edward could grow alongside these?

• Like 1

Really ? Wistuba website says that edwardsiana is "not available in the coming months" and it's been that way for the best part of a year. I think an edwardsiana restock would make front page news on Wistuba, but nothing new that i can see. Or was it personal contact ?

hello,

i do not grow Eddy anymore, It gave up on me!

Friends of mine who do, feed them on small crickets (amphibian food) but also use Osmocote pellets in the

Substrate, but make sure it has a healthy root system first as roots can be sacrificed for leaf production

hope this is of help?

If you can grow burbidgeae you should be able to grow edwardsiana.

I've noticed that the small nepenthes in my terrarium catch a lot of springtails. The springtails themselves feed on decaying plant matter so they pose no threat, but they do make good snacks for hungry little plants. I've never bothered to cut off the lid to feed them.

Mine (still very small) grows in a mixture of sphagnum, perlite and seramis and is doing great so far.

edit: I do spray it occasionally with diluted orchid fertilizer

Edited by Johanovich
  • Like 1

Really ? Wistuba website says that edwardsiana is "not available in the coming months" and it's been that way for the best part of a year. I think an edwardsiana restock would make front page news on Wistuba, but nothing new that i can see. Or was it personal contact ?

That's weird, I got mine last fall when it became available again. And if I check the wistuba website it currently says "available after our winter break"

Weird. I just took this screengrab seconds ago...

eddy_zps413ef994.jpg

I refreshed the page and it now says the same here :P

Not a personal contact. It was green or yellow this morning! Roughly 10am Thai time. It said, "available after our spring break." But now it says not available within the coming months. It could very well be a glitch and Wistuba might contact me later with a refund. Or he may have made a limited quantity available through his website without posting anything. 

hello,

i do not grow Eddy anymore, It gave up on me!

Friends of mine who do, feed them on small crickets (amphibian food) but also use Osmocote pellets in the

Substrate, but make sure it has a healthy root system first as roots can be sacrificed for leaf production

hope this is of help?

Thank you. How would I ensure a healthy root system? By giving it a very well draining potting mix?

Edited by Dennis

Not a personal contact. It was green or yellow this morning! Roughly 10am Thai time. It said, "available after our spring break." But now it says not available within the coming months. It could very well be a glitch and Wistuba might contact me later with a refund. Or he may have made a limited quantity available through his website without posting anything. 

Or maybe there was only one and you were lucky enough to get it ! :thumbsup:

Edited by Welshy

Or maybe there was only one and you were lucky enough to get it ! :thumbsup:

tumblr_njef16VDMo1u7mi3so1_400.png

Purchase was made at 10:39AM Thai Time. 

If it is true, and not a mistake, I hope I don't mess this up like the Exotica Plants hybrid  :laugh1:

Edited by Dennis

i meant , check that has a good root system first :wink: