I really wish that...

manders

Nurseries would post photos of individual plants, so you can choose which one to buy. I know its probably too time consuming but...

How many times i have got through the post some little plant, looks like a palm tree, thin stem, few roots, a couple of stunted leaves at the top, and its obviously not been growing well and you just know it isnt long for ths world...

But is live enough that theres no point complaining...

I'm not getting at any particular nursery here but wouldnt it be great to be able to see the actual plant your buying before you buy it...

• Like 2

Problem is everyone would be after the same healthy plant and the nursery would be left with the crap looking plants no one wants and loose money, but in the perfect world I would agree

That's not a consumer problem,if you have plants that look crap i cannot understand why i should buy it. A greengrocers with crap vegetables will throw them away as none will buy it,or at least will put a good discount on them,i cannot see the difference. 

We surely don't live in a perfect world but we have some good rules,one of them is that when you buy something that you cannot physically choose you should be able to see a photo of it and if what you recive isn't what you bought than you can have your money back. I cannot see why rules that are applied to every online shop are not valid for online CP vendor.

There's only a name for selling crap plants insted of the healthy and good looking ones on your website and it's fraud.

That said mine is only a general speach,i never had any problem with any online nurcery,the only times i recived crappy plants i got a fast refund,but it'll surely be better to see what you're actually buying,maybe asking for a photo before the payment,so the vendor doesn't need to upload loads of pic on his website

Luca

Nurseries would post photos of individual plants, so you can choose which one to buy. I know its probably too time consuming but...

How many times i have got through the post some little plant, looks like a palm tree, thin stem, few roots, a couple of stunted leaves at the top, and its obviously not been growing well and you just know it isnt long for ths world...

But is live enough that theres no point complaining...

I'm not getting at any particular nursery here but wouldnt it be great to be able to see the actual plant your buying before you buy it...

Have you contacted the nursery if they could send photos off the actual plants you ordered? It shouldn't be a problem to take some pictures.

Sadly taking a photo from every single plant and uploading this is pretty time consuming and expensive.

Have you contacted the nursery if they could send photos off the actual plants you ordered?

Theyre often plants with roots and leaves and look superficially healthy, so difficult to make a strong case for a refund and not worth the assle, but im afraid after a few decades of growing nepenthes i can often tell which ones are never going to make good plants, theyll survive for two or three years, never really grow and then simply waste away...

Allmost like they had such a bad start in life they can never make good plants.

Ok, i realise no nursery would ever post photos...

Theyre often plants with roots and leaves and look superficially healthy, so difficult to make a strong case for a refund and not worth the assle, but im afraid after a few decades of growing nepenthes i can often tell which ones are never going to make good plants, theyll survive for two or three years, never really grow and then simply waste away...

Allmost like they had such a bad start in life they can never make good plants.

Ok, i realise no nursery would ever post photos...

it's simple. You are really well protected by law in this kind of situations. If they send you a picture of one high quality plant first and decide to deliver a really weak one next, you have the right to return the plant within 14 days. Also the payment service providers can help you with getting your money back. Creditcard providers and paypal can do this until about 45 days after payment.

Do not forget, you are not the who has to do the work. By law the webstore has to provide evidence he DID send the quality he promises on his website in case of a conflict.

it's simple. You are really well protected by law in this kind of situations. If they send you a picture of one high quality plant first and decide to deliver a really weak one next, you have the right to return the plant within 14 days. Also the payment service providers can help you with getting your money back. Creditcard providers and paypal can do this until about 45 days after payment.

Do not forget, you are not the who has to do the work. By law the webstore has to provide evidence he DID send the quality he promises on his website in case of a conflict.

Wouldnt it just end up in a lot of arguments? My definition of good quality wont be the same as theirs i'm sure. Its the little details that mark the difference between a long term-viable nepenthes and a non-viable no-hoper doomeed to stagnate and wither.

The reason is that the profit is so low on each individual sale, you'd be working for pennies per hour if you did this.

Of course it is.

Ideally we would have more choice in local garden centres but that isn't going to happen either. That said, im still rather pleased with my B&Q Albomarginata which turned out to be far far healthier and more robust than one of the online nursery equivalents and i got to choose a healty plant to start with.

Come on B&Q, lets see a few more...

Wouldnt it just end up in a lot of arguments? My definition of good quality wont be the same as theirs i'm sure. Its the little details that mark the difference between a long term-viable nepenthes and a non-viable no-hoper doomeed to stagnate and wither.

But would you be able to tell these little details from a photo ? A plant may look perfectly healthy in a photograph, and even if you were sent the exact same plant, i don't see how you can tell if it's a "long term viable plant" or whether it will waste away after 2 to 3 years ?

I've only been growing nepenthes for less than 2 years, so in order to build up my collection quickly (combined with a lack of funds to pay for the real beauties), i now have over 60 different plants purchased cheaply from European suppliers, none of which are over 15cm in diameter yet. The one exception to this, was an 8€ boschiana from Carnivoria which was over 10 inches in diamater on arrival. Time will tell how many of the juvenile plants survive past the 2 to 3 year mark. So far i've only lost 3, mikei, jacquelineae, and singalana x diatas. None of which lasted more than a few months, but i don't know if this was down to my conditions or weak plants to begin with.

I've only ever received 2 plants with no roots, one of which was replaced by the supplier for a much healthier one, and the other i've chosen credit for. But i agree with your comment about them 'knowingly' being sent out, they are packed for shipping by human beings afterall, so there's no excuse for wrapping a rootless stalk in sphagnum, wrapping it in wet tissue and bagging it up for dispatch......... well, not unless a blind person did it.

I think the only place you're going to see an individual photo of the plant you are buying is on ebay, and we know how hit or miss that can still be. It's probably just because i'm new to these plants that i get dead excited and impatient when i'm expecting an order to be delivered. I actually like the fact that it's going to be a surprise come opening day, will i get some tiddlers or will i get some monsters. Sure, i've been angry at times when orders go wrong or plants aren't up to the standard i would expect. But when i've calmed down, i love the challenge of trying to nurture these weak young plants into health over the coming years, it will be a small sense of achievement if and when i get there. I'm not the kind of person to spend big money (even if i had it) on a large mature plant that someone else has had the enjoyment(?) of growing for the first few years, where's the fun it that !?!

I respect that you've been growing neps for decades Mark and you know what you're talking about, but we have to concede that it's very unlikely we're ever going to see individual photographs from suppliers who buy their plants in bulk trays. It's too time consuming as we know.

Best solution i can think of Mark, is for you to forward any future naff plants to me ! :laugh1:

Oh i agree, no-one will ever do it, but it doesnt me having a good moan about it... :D

Plants don't have to be big, they just have to be not stunted...

There are too parts to my moaning complaint, one is the plants that are just never going to do well, weak clones or a bad start in life or whatever, the second part is getting a plant that is just a really boring clone, which after two years of growing you realize is just going to be a waste if space. So its taken up valuable space for a year or too, turns out to be totally boring/a lame duck and you end up getting rid...

Moan moan moan...

When are we going to get named cultivars in nepenthes so we know what we are getting...

Let me think, theres probably a few other things, i want to moan about pointlessly...