Cephalotus troubles

harryfort

I got my first Cephalotus about 3 weeks ago and they had no fluid in them when I received them and still have no fluid in them. Im still new to growing Cephs but I thought that there should be fluid in them by now, any suggestions? 

cheers! :) 

As in  all  cp's  that require fluid in  the  pitchers  ,after transport its best to  rehydrate the pitchers  on receipt of  the  plant with  fresh rain water ,or  they may die from lack of  it , they will make  the own digestive fluid  with  that water .,so yes ,  fill the  pitchers ASAP ,and keep  them at least 1/2 to 3/4  full at all times  in growing season . as they would be in the natural  habit .

• Like 1

I've never found the need to fill the pitchers with water, even when I've had the plant completely upsides down during repotting. Different growing conditions may yield different results though, i.e. if conditions are low humidity then maybe it helps. As always, a picture paints a thousand words, so you might get more advise if you post a picture off your plant.

• Like 1

dXLEl8l.jpg

OFl8HWK.jpg

This is the plant, I haven't repotted it since it arrived to reduce the stress. The lids are almost fully shut on the traps but I read that this could be to stop the liquid evaporating, or is it because another condition? the traps are still firm though. Any recommendations on its care will be greatly appreciated!

cheers! 

I've never refilled the pitchers either on any plants I've received but may be something to consider as I have had a couple of healthy looking plants wither away to nothing after a few weeks of receiving.

Your plants looking great, I'd just try to avoid " fussing" it too much and let it settle in .

Replicating it's previous owners conditions may lessen any ' shock' .

I.e was it outside, inside, grown under lighting etc?.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've tried replicating its previous conditions. It hasn't got any winter leaves so I wasn't sure how often to water it, should I water it as if it was not winter because it hasn't got any winter leaves? Im still new to growing Cephs and Carnivorous plants! 

Some plants produce masses of leaves, others produce very few, next winter could be the exact reverse.

As you'll come to learn from most on here, identical plants grow differently for every grower so don't panic as long as it's looking happy.

Only guaranteed advice is allowing it to dry out WILL kill it.

I stand my plants in an inch of water through summer and replace the water when it's gone.

In winter I keep the ceph's just damp.

If they're outside and uncovered through winter I'd water from below when needed to avoid the " crown " of the plant getting soggy. They can be bothered by mildew in the winter.

You'll get varied advice on this but they don't really experience frosts in their native land so I try not to let my plants experience much below freezing without protection...

Short bursts of cold seem ok but prolonged freezes seem to do most harm.

They'll usually regrow but will take ages to get back to the size they were.

• Like 1

looks healthy enough to me. As Blocky71 has already said, I would keep it moist in winter and stand in water in summer. In winter make sure it gets some air movement to avoid mildew. I would not repot it, as it looks perfectly happy how it is.

• Like 1