Finally ... ! The project is underway :)

Floydsdad

Update Time ☺️

Well the winter has passed, and I've just started to up the water levels to get things a little more 'boggy'.

And despite my worries, never having been through a winter before, everything seems to be sparking into life. So, as per the suggestion, I'll post a pic or 2 every few weeks to see how things progress. As per, if anyone has any feedback or advice, throw it my way ! Heaven knows I need it !

37ea63b81d05c59a843d532257650a17.jpg

The first of the sundews are starting to grow ☺️

25b9a33af13f4ccd6d19bfe36ff3ab51.jpg

And the Capensis in the log survived the winter too ☺️

dae1f38092a3d8a9dd8b7536a0d4d863.jpg

And on the right hand side the VFT's are kicking into life ☺️

c51277bbfe3669ea20c1ec682294c4e5.jpg

And hopefully, soon the sarracenias will start to throw up a few pitchers ☺️

That's how it's looking as we hit the start of the growing season (I think !)

Hope you like !

Check out www.Floydsdadonthepans.wordpress.com

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this darn phone will play along .. Had a little peep in this morning in the way to work ... And almost everything is now starting to grow ...

And some of the plants look great in the early morning sun

As I thought .. The link to the pics embedded in my message as I typed it .. But no pics

a6a71c52e2d269fe36ff4531d3067acf.jpg7d221a5270e75df8602fa3971e9ebb73.jpg

Another attempt at sending a pic or two !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

fa3c67a4e6e43ea80aa52eefa80c0302.jpg

One last one :)

• Like 1

Now it seems I've got the technology working ... Here's the whole thing .. A few more weeks and everything will hopefully start to fill out ... If you can spot a gap , and suggest a plant you think will look good in there .. Please just drop me a line

a48ee05692e3ca8fe149325326ae36c6.jpgSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Love it :D Glad to see that the Cephalotus is still doing well, I had my doubts for a while!

If you let those Grandiflora drop their seeds you'll get a brilliant carpet of them popping up!

Great work  :wink:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
This is impressive, wish i had the time/effort/money/space/patience/resources to do that.

Amazingg!!

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you like.

I can assure you there's been a minimal outlay for the whole thing. The plastic tray the plants sit in is an underbed storage box from B and M Bargains (about a fiver) the logs were 8 quid each from B and Q. The bench was made out of off cuts of 3x2.

The medium is peat moss and perlite from the garden centre (about £20 for enough plus spares). And the plants, well if you look around on the site there are so many kind a generous people who will let you pick up some of their spare stock fora fraction of the rrp, and even throw in the odd freebie!

Maintenance is minimal, lots of rainwater / deionised water , and just time plucking out rouge weeds and strands of grass that grow through the moss.

I reckon by next season I should have a few spares which I'll gladly help you with if you like. Cheers ! FD

Well I'm no doubt going to try and do another display bench, so any help you need, just ask.

• 1 month later...

Another update .. Things are really taking off now, and as predicted space is becoming limited ! Loving the sundews I have to say, and the VFT's are blooming ! Almost all the Sarras are putting up pitchers now and the reserve collection is looking a lot healthier ! Definitely going to need another display making ! 2bc24e53f380beb35f44463b7ef0ebb1.jpg7c4654b041b8848eb0735a73a88c5ee4.jpg9a24495f31a84ee54c6ce3d3fabb3291.jpg7096272c58118d44f92cdcfaa6edbdfb.jpgdf8b4061dbfc82354272ac126d495991.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Ada , and Ian respectively ! I'm sure you both recognise some of your fledglings !

• 1 month later...

All I can say is WOW!! I just came into this section of the site looking for info on planting an outdoor bog garden, and I think this thread has everything I need. Also, as you're only a few miles from me, I don't need to ask about the weather!

I guess I'll have to wait until spring before doing anything now, but you've given me a lot of inspiration. Thanks very much.