Breeding with "smurfs"

Nevermore4

I got two blooms on mine last spring. As others have posted, they are a bit odd by having six petals. I selfed one and then crossed the other with a flava. I also pollinated the flava bloom. I only got 3-4 viable seeds from the selfed. The crossed blooms set decently. The few others in the US that I could find with a "smurf" either didn't get viable seed or they lost the lot to mold during germination. I figured I ask on this forum since it originated at Carniflora.

• 11 months later...

It is a mutation caused I think by tissue culture, it doesn't seem to be a strong trait as my outdoor grown plants tend to look less smurf like as the pitchers get larger, but in answer to your question I don't know of anyone yet replicating the defect from seed or crosses.

Cheers

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have any pictures of your outdoor smurf?

I guess I spoke to soon....  I have several smaller plants that are "Smurf" x flava...  this one is the first to produce adult pitchers and it's quite the smurf. I don't see any flava in it all though... so maybe I messed up the pollination part. The others are still producing juvenile pitchers....  2 are upright... and 2 are prostrate. So hopefully the will get the funky gene expressed in some form. I will have to keep the blooms this spring on the parent "smurf" and try some other combinations.

image.jpg