Looking for a new camera, any suggestions?

Michael*R

My current camera is a GE HZ15 Digital Camera from GE it is ok for mainstream photography but I want something that is better at macro shots as I grow a lot of miniature orchids and you can’t get very good pictures when your 8 inches away and still can’t focus properly.

I’m looking for

·Good macro

·Not too big

·Not too pricy

·Somewhat robust (I’m a tad accident prone)

Can you suggest anything?

All comments are welcome!

Michael

If you want to keep the price down look at the Fujifilm Finepix range of bridge cameras. Available new from under £100. You will get more pixels than a second hand Canon so cropping will still give you a sharper image. I've had one for several years and it's nice and light for use as a field camera plus it's not that much of a disaster if I drop it in a pond. There are macro and super macro options so you can get well into the subject.

Edit:- I forgot to mention. The power supply will most likely be 4 x AA batteries which you can pick up anywhere

Edited by FredG
  • Like 1

If you want to keep the price down look at the Fujifilm Finepix range of bridge cameras. Available new from under £100. You will get more pixels than a second hand Canon so cropping will still give you a sharper image. I've had one for several years and it's nice and light for use as a field camera plus it's not that much of a disaster if I drop it in a pond. There are macro and super macro options so you can get well into the subject.

Edit:- I forgot to mention. The power supply will most likely be 4 x AA batteries which you can pick up anywhere

thats great thank you! ill have a look!

Is a smartphone camera ok? I have a samsung note3 and have many good pictures on my carnivorous plants. I used to take photo with my DSLR nikon D90 with nikkor 85mm macro lense top with a sb900 flash. I find it over kill for just closed up macros. I no longer use that. Check my photos in my signature. The last 8 mth. I am using only my smart phone camera unless i need to do time lapse, stitching or stacking. Then only the Dslr comes in with tripod and all those stuff.

Edited by tish
  • Like 1

Is a smartphone camera ok? I have a samsung note3 and have many good pictures on my carnivorous plants. I used to take photo with my DSLR nikon D90 with nikkor 85mm macro lense top with a sb900 flash. I find it over kill for just closed up macros. I no longer use that. Check my photos in my signature. The last 8 mth. I am using only my smart phone camera unless i need to do time lapse, stitching or stacking. Then only the Dslr comes in with tripod and all those stuff.

I have an iphone 4 which is ok but dosent do macro so well. i do use it a lot but i notised the more photos i have on it the slower it runs a bit.

thank you anyway! :)

Konnichiwa!

I am an olympus fan. I used to take photos with OM-4 (film camera). Olympus kept being defeated at Nikon and Canon Inc. because of sales. They are withdrawing almost from the mirror camera market. I would like to be using TG-3 until they revived.

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/tg-3.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J7tvdyGNrk

The macro-functions of TG-3 are very excellent.

Kind regards from the Far East

Edited by PofW_Feathers
  • Like 1

Nikon Coolpix P520 bridge camera works great for me. 42x zoom which roughly translates from 24 to 1000 mm, 18.1 megapixels, full hD movie, GPS. Very light and easy to carry.

No lens changing in the field if you want to go from close up of an utric to that bird that is sitting in the tree 300 m away.

• Like 1

Konnichiwa!

I am an olympus fan. I used to take photos with OM-4 (film camera). Olympus kept being defeated at Nikon and Canon Inc. because of sales. They are withdrawing almost from the mirror camera market. I would like to be using TG-3 until they revived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J7tvdyGNrk

The macro-functions of TG-3 are very excellent.

hello

thank you, this one really got my interest!!!

Konnichiwa!

Did you read "The TG-3 offers four macro modes" already?

especially:

Focus Bracketing and Focus Stacking (multiple images are taken from foreground to background, and the areas in focus are automatically merged into one perfect shot).

I guess these are useful for you when you take photos of miniature orchids.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Michael*R-san,

Konnichiwa!

One of the most important things for macro fans, I think it is how to avoid the shadow of lens or lens & camera, occasionally the photographer himself. If you do not have the function or the accessories on your camera, this is unavoidable and can be really annoying.  

I do not necessarily understand your demand accurately. If you make a wrong choice, you will keep regretting it. If you make a good choice, the camera would become your good friend for many years.  

I bought OM-4, two macro lenses and some accessories 30 years ago, I still feel OM-4 is an excellent camera.

If you do not mind to use Japanese cameras, I will write my opinion.

Nikon and Canon are the great companies. They can produce not only camera but also the stepper (mother machine of VLSI or something else, I'm quite not familiar with this field, but my brother is a Nikon engineer of this field). I respect and trust any company that can manufacture mother machines.

Olympus is able in the field of optical medical equipment. Your acquaintance might have swallowed their device in the hospital. Please see "0:58 in OLYMPUS STYLUS TG-3 Tough Function introduction" again. This photoflash accessory applies the technology of the endoscope (fiberscope).

Both Nikon and Olympus have manufactured many kinds of microscope many years. So they have many engineers who can understand the feelings and demands of macro-micro fans and researchers.

In conclusion,

I recommend you to choose one from Nikon or Olympus. The second recommendation is Canon.

If your priority is the low price, please check the below ones. I'm quite not sure if I can recommend them, because I do not read any review of these ones yet.

To my knowledge, the camera section of Richo was Pentax previously. There are still many Pentax fans here in Japan.

RICOH WG-30W

RICOH WG-4

• Like 1

id also agree with om4 and macro lens

i had a om4 with a 90mm elicar macro lens(sold it recently with a bit of regret} and using it for macro shots it was a lot more capable than than almost anything nikon or canon had to offer and still gave good results against alot of todays digital cameras

i moved onto a digital slr recently just because of ease of putting and viewing photos on the pc

• 7 months later...

Any new suggestions this year? :-)

I know nothing about changeable lenses nor the names they call them. Id like to have a compact camera with good macro and good quality. Im not so into zooming or taking landscape photos.

This was taken with a that same Fujifilm Finepix S1730. I can zoom in closer if necessary.This is now an outdated bridge camera but I don't think you can fault its performance.

Female Ruddy Darter

20630434866_d468e474de_o.jpg

Edited by FredG