Is this a Cephalotus Hummers Giant?

KEPBEPOS

I understand what you say and I agree about the proves I just say what they admit about the origins of their Cephalotus....In coclusion for me that  i understad from this topic is that we have a unique plant that under different circumstances adapt it self and change their trap formation to eats climatic conditions.But still i believe that a photo album of identification for Cephalotus it will be very helpfull  especialy from growers that have experiance becouse there are not many pictures on internet about registred or not Giants  Cephalotus  to compare  and have eats of us their conclusions.

• 3 weeks later...

The Information in the two links above is quite old and it's full of errors.

Myths and legends, moreover urban legends and assumptions is all written in those articles...

Can we count those as a Hummers Giant?

Phill Mann's stock plants

8a.jpg

7a.jpg

6a.jpg

The pic belongs to Phill Mann..

Goshitscrowdedhere.jpg

Edited by dimitar

Thank you mobile it's much more easier to read.

Dimitar, I don't want to say there is no giant plant of Cephalotus outside nor the article will do so.Interesting pictures of stock plants.Watering from above. :Laie_97:

I only posted the link cause I found it useful to read all information and arguments. What I found very very interesting in the article cause it sounds plausible and would explain why some plants are bigger or darker than others:

"The propagation of seedlings and cuttings in vitro promotes the doubling, tripling, and even quadrupling of chromosomes in plant cells (Demoise, 1969) . This phenomenon is known as polyploidy. When plants have extra chromosomes, they usually have larger characters: larger fruits, flowers, and leaves. Furthermore, The use of alkaloid chemicals in horticulture such as colchicine, a known polyploidy inducer, naturally produced by a plant Colchicum autumnale or Autumn crocus, has been a common practice since the mid 1940’s to improve physical characteristics of plants (Dawe, 1998) . It is by no means implied that the origins of the “Hummer’s Giant” and the “true giant” are due to chromosome duplication or to exposure to polyploidy inducers. Scientific data is needed to confirm or discard the hypothesis of chromosomal duplication. It is, however, a very plausible explanation on how these giant clones arose, keeping in mind that the general consensus regarding Cephalotus follicularis pitcher size is that they are small and no larger than 5 cm (1.96 inches)."

Regards Alexander

Edited by fischermans

Yeah, but I find this quite funny and  I've always wondered what is Cephalotus Giant, True Giant, Czech Giant, German Giant, Munich Giant, Emu Point Giant, Ledge Bay Giant, Slack's Giant, 'Hummers Giant' , Phill Mann's Giant etc...

What does "Giant " mean? Does the the add "Giant " make those special?

Edited by dimitar

Hmmm, yep  I tend to agree with u and then I need to cross out most of these since they can't get 8cm pitchers.

Cephalotus Giant, True Giant, Czech Giant, German Giant, Munich Giant, Emu Point Giant, Ledge Bay Giant, Slack's Giant, 'Hummers Giant' , Phill Mann's Giant etc...

Edited by dimitar

Yeah, but I find this quite funny and  I've always wondered what is Cephalotus Giant, True Giant, Czech Giant, German Giant, Munich Giant, Emu Point Giant, Ledge Bay Giant, Slack's Giant, 'Hummers Giant' , Phill Mann's Giant etc...

What does "Giant " mean? Does the the add "Giant " make those special?

Technically, I don't think Emu Point was originally called giant, was it?

Here my suggestion for measurement of a Cephalotus.

First if it's a giant one. Pitchers less than 7 cm is normal and more than 7 cm is giant.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=8382

and if it's a fat boy. Everything less then 3 cm is normal and more than 3 cm is a fat boy.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=8381

What do you mean

Edited by fischermans

Technically, I don't think Emu Point was originally called giant, was it?

Technically, none of these quoted above is giant, except C.'Hummers Giant'.

A lot of typical Cephalotus easily achieve 7.5 +cm pitchers without any effort but this doesn't make them 'giant', neither something special.

Edited by dimitar

Technically, none of these quoted above is giant, except C.'Hummers Giant'.

A lot of typical Cephalotus easily achieve 7.5 +cm pitchers without any effort but this doesn't make them 'giant', neither something special.

Ok we can say 8 cm is normal and more is a giant plant.

Alexander,

I do appreciate and admire your desire we all to go out with equal measurements what is "giant",  but frankly I haven't seen so far united opinion of this issue u know,  have u seen ? :smile:

Ok we can say 8 cm is normal and more is a giant plant.

If we accept that, almost 99% from all so far called " Cephalotus giant" would be disqualified, I'm afraid. But I agree it is high time to put in order what is giant and what not.

I hope more peeps to take part in that discussion :)

Alexander,

I do appreciate and admire your desire we all to go out with equal measurements what is "giant",  but frankly I haven't seen so far united opinion of this issue u know,  have u seen ? :smile:

Dimitar, we both just start this and hopefully it will end up in an highly agreed measurement system for Cephalotus.

I hope too that more peeps take part.

In my opinion a measurement without the lid is also needed for cephalotus, as some plants hold their lids more upright than others

I too have said this recently, but the problem is measuring the back of a pitcher on such a tightly compact plant, it's not always going to be easy.. Unless you cut it away from the plant first, which nobody is going to do to their prized specimen.

There will always be "Giants", as it adds much more market appeal :wink:

All those who have paid silly money for their "Giants" aren't going to relabel and thus devalue them based on a new measurement criteria.

There will always be "Giants", as it adds much more market appeal :wink:

All those who have paid silly money for their "Giants" aren't going to relabel and thus devalue them based on a new measurement criteria.

Hello mobile, it's not to compel others for relabeling their plants. It's to inform others that a so called giant has only pitchers of for example 7 cm.

Like dimi said a consensus needs to be confirmed an adhered to by collectors or persons with said plants - but then you go into the area of typical plants which is what they all derived from but from time to time have morfed genetically or under certain condition an lighting etc!

But for sure a way to measure. What does the Australian growers an American growers measure by? What's the said society's take on the giant form? Or icps on the matter

For me it is simple.If a plant has pitchers with around 5cm to 7cm its a normal plant and if the pitchers reach 8 or more it is a giant.

Hello mobile, it's not to compel others for relabeling their plants. It's to inform others that a so called giant has only pitchers of for example 7 cm.

So those who have bought "Giant" clones that are 5-7cm, most I suspect, what should they do? By your criteria they would be normal plants.