Cephalotus location plant pitchers spring at last .

snapperhead51

Now the weather has stabilized here in Southern AU  the  plants are growing again  a few  nice  photos of  location plants pitchers .

French mans bay

P1220118.jpg

P1220122.jpg

Gull Rock road

P1220111.jpg

P1220108.jpg

P1220114.jpg

Two peoples  bay

P1220095.jpg

P1220101.jpg

P1220105.jpg

P1220100.jpg

A double  pitcher  with one  lid,quite  uncommon to see .

P1220097.jpg

North Cliffe

P1220093.jpg

P1220089.jpg

hope you like  them

• Like 4

just a question, if I were to sneak into your greenhouse and rearrange all those location labels could you accurately relabel them? as in can you see a difference each and every time between two different location labelled cephs?

to be quite honest I have and many others have major issues seeing the differences in cultivar cephs let alone seeing any difference between location cephs, if they all grow and look pretty much the same what exactly is the point in location data?

just questions

paul

• Like 2

Yup, I think along the same line Paul.

When I first discovered ceph's I went in head first, trying to own every variety.

Truth is I have about 9 varieties but I think in a test the only one I could be certain of would be " Dudley Watts" as in my conditions it does grow differently shaped pitchers to the others.

From now on I'll be looking discerning features such as " double ribbed " aboves names and locations.

Whilst location data is a talking point, it doesn't add any value to the plant for me.

After all, trace all our Ceph's back on a family tree and they would have one day originated from some location in Western Australia.

Lovely looking ceph's none the less Snapperhead and thanks for sharing, i guess the data would become extremely important should that clone ever become extinct in the wild.

• Like 1

Nice looking cephs John,plenty of flowers,they must be happy in their conditions.

Location plants and seed grown plants are important because of the different genes they contain.If a disease wiped out all the cephs in one location,plants in other locations could be immune due to slightly different genes,

ada

• Like 1

Location details are to keep the genetic types of a particular area available for reintroduction if the need arises.Whether or not they look different is irrelevant, it's the genetics that are important. So really what you would be growing is a "typical" ( oh I hate that term) with a home address. Crosses of different locations are worthless for this purpose. 

• Like 2

Location details are to keep the genetic types of a particular area available for reintroduction if the need arises.Whether or not they look different is irrelevant, it's the genetics that are important. So really what you would be growing is a "typical" ( oh I hate that term) with a home address.

I totally agree with u Fred. You have said exactly what I would say.

Crosses of different locations are worthless for this purpose. 

Indeed, so true.

• Like 1

id be willing to bet huge sums of money that those location plants will never be used to replace lost wild location plants. its the same deal with mikes ark hes told me himself its ex situ with no intent to use genetic material to replace lost wild populations, same applies with plants preserved at kew, rarely if ever are they used to attempt to repopulate wild locations.

if disease wipes out a natural stock of plants then who are we to interfere and replace them? nature dealt them a fatal blow so be it respect the turn of events, when a population is lost due to habitat desctruction then the location is lost for good and any location plants are preserved for posterity nothing else. when a site has been poached to destruction then replacing plants there is pure folly.

so im assuming each and every ceph in that collection has been fully genetically profiled and recorded and the relevant info has been logged with the relevant authorities etc etc with a full plan to use those plants as replacements for lost stock?

or if I were to spend a lot of money buying location cephs that I cant see any difference in just how would I know that they are not in fact just tc crap from some dutch tc nursery?

another question does a location label attract a higher sales price?

paul

Edited by paul y
  • Like 1

But for cultivation is a variety of genetics usually good for healthy plants. For science is the benefit of these tagged plants good for comparing their genetics. Especially when a natural population is wiped out.

Maybe there is a plant with resistance against root rot under less ideal circumstances.

Drawback is of course the fact that for these located plants a higher price is charged. It’s only a matter of time until they will consist of mainly faked origins.

It’s a different matter with plants from Botanical Gardens, they usually don’t participate at the market.

Greetings Axel

Edited by partisangardener

Pauly , really  ,sorry  have know idea what you are on about , any how ,   we are not allowed to replace  plants back   unless your a Gov department  fisheries and wildlife, its illegal (all though  some try to repopulate  small areas with cannabis plants we hear !!)  , and as in  Coal mine beach site, the department will do nothing to prevent the  natural destruction of  a site ,  !!,

And yes if you took  the labels out i can put them back in  the correct pots ,   if you were to see  them in real time  you would  then know  the differences its quite obvious , !.. if you spend your money  the plants will be  as labeled and not from some  unknown nursery mainly because they have not been distributed  as yet and  no body  has  them , as  in  the  ones  shown above ,  if some  one claims  they do  other than 2 friends in EU and UK   there  not tell the truth  , ,  ,I'm sure  once they  out some will try to claim  that they have  the real deal !!.

As far as all looking  the same  , well  I guess one would  need to see  them in  the wild  site locations  to know  that , have you seen  them in  the wild to  actually  know ??  , my experience leads me to believe most people till they actually see  the  plants in there  locations they dont see  the true  and whole  picture, as with  nepenthes , tubers drosera, sarras ,VFT   ect ect . so saying that they all look alike  may be just a lack of  real field experience  to actually view  the  differences in  the site location plants .and  once one has seen  them its again very easy to  see .

As far as  populations being wiped  out , most of  the  sites are still in good order, some are very small in size like  French mans bay  and now Coal mine beach , we believe  the  Emu Bay site ( that is wrongly  named by  the way , its a bit further up  than actual Emu bay !) ,is gone  now to dew  housing development or other  stress to  the site  , last trip from a few friends  were unable to  locate any  plants in  the  area ,  it happens . they may reappear from deeper rhizomes  its possible ?.  .

another question does a location label attract a higher sales price?

Yes, it does.

I have had offers from EU and USA growers and from some nurseries as well with prices above € 500 for small location plant...

Two days ago I got offer with price €800 from EU grower for small plant or even leaves from that seed grown clone C. Northcliffe....

10689803_760291660675076_348264882910808

10422598_760291664008409_566273849550851

However, if u were in my shoes would u accept those offers and the money , Paul?

Edited by dimitar
  • Like 2

Its been said many times before,

a plant is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

If someone offered me 800 euros for a plant and i had a spare i would sell it them first without hesitation.

There will be many fakes out there soon enough,so why not take the money?

ada

These plants will almost definately never be used for repopulation of locations. There worth is in their genetic diversity. Their value is whatever anyone is willing to pay for them.

Location has been used for a long time for Sarracenia, some of which even the seasoned grower would not be able to tell apart.

Irrespective of what people think about location plants, there will always be growers who want them, whether it's for their diversity, or because they like collecting all variants. Look at the money that all the new variants that appear reach, even if their unique characteristic stability is unknown.

What I find interesting is the potential for some gene variance, which comes from seed grown plants, which might give us more plants like the lovely coloured Northcliffe that Dimitar has pictured above.

Ultimately, fakes will appear no matter what. These locations are already known, so the potential is already there. The only way you can absolutely guarantee the source is if you can trace it back to a genuine originator, something that many cannot do with their clones/cultivars. Anyone here able to trace their 'Hummer's Giant' back to John Hummer for example?

............................................when a population is lost due to habitat desctruction then the location is lost for good and any location plants are preserved for posterity nothing else

This is untrue.

In the 1980s, we, in the Northern Section CPS, offered to repopulate an area of reclaimed bog in the Peak District with native Drosera. The offer was accepted with the proviso that the plants that were to be used in the reintroduction were grown from seed originating from that same area. We, unfortunately, could not comply with this as location plants at that time were something of a rarity. 

So I take it John had permission to collect and distribute these seeds and dimitar had all the proper cites to receive and distribute these seeds and plants.Sorry but I may of missed something but had to ask,and if so has anyone else done the same because I believe you state if anyone else says they have these plants they are fakes

if anyone else says they have these plants they are fakes

if somebody tells u that he has or sell C. Northcliffe and it is the same clone as my above - be sure he is lying you. The plant is 3.5 years old seed grown and has never been propagated so far from me....

The seed is from  my own  plants " not wild collected ", to go collect seed would cost be  around $450 AU around trip  just not viable ! the  plant material  has been well documented  really do not need to keep going over over other  the same  thing surly !! unfortunately  one of  the  collectors has passed away earlier  this year ..

as for cites  ,who has a cites for  there cephalotus  plant , any one ,can some one show  a certificate please,  any one   !

Any seed sent has been declared to the customs  by  the customs declaration form   as required !! ,no other  information is required according to  this form  !.

Its quite sad that all the EU ares  has been or seems to have been so badly ripped off or taken for a ride  that when a genuine thing  comes up  its can not be  taken as such,  truly sad !

Edited by snapperhead51

$450 Snapperhead?, That's not even one leaf of a " C.Northcliffe" according to Dimitar, plenty viable I'd say !. Good luck to you all, there's no malice or jealousy from me, just intreagued is all.

As long as wild growing plants aren't being removed then I have no argument.

To be honest, growing any ceph from seed to adult size is worthy of a decent price.

3 years of my life have passed and my seed grown are still tiny ....

Blocky 71  this may interest you then, not location plant but  one of great interest to me  , this  plant is grown from  seed  and i got a mature  piece of  the mother plant about  1/4 of  the original plant at 2 years old  the  pitchers were  6+ cm ,is now 3 years old  , we call it Mikes super fast,  Carl has some seed on trial now ,  who knows what the seed will  do , but very impressed with  its growth speed of  the  mother plant  from a seed grown plant in 3 years to  this   I think is reasonably  impressive .

P1220128.jpg

P1220130.jpg

P1220131.jpg

• Like 1

I've seen a couple of dubious posts on here showing huge plants that have supposedly grown in no time at all for their owners. There'll be no arguing this as they are being grown by different people. A proven " super fast " clone would indeed be on my wish list as everything happens super slow under my conditions...

Keep up the good work, Carl I hope you're taking some timescale pics of those seedlings .....